N00b hotkey question - vert select

Hodwy!

I’m a 15 year Max/Maya user coming to Blender for the first time and trying to get it to run on my Surface Pro 2017.

I was stoked to see I could select Maya controls in the hotkeys list, but I can’t seem to find the control for “select verts” while in Edit Mode. I feel dumb.

Can someone point me to an intuitive list for these hotkeys? I see a lot of confusing titles, as well as controls with the same name (“Open Menu,” “Select,” etc). But nothing says “Select Verts.”

Also can I edit these hotkey names to something more intuitive? Has someone already done this?

Thanks!
-C.

Ctrl+Tab is the default key for the mesh select mode menu where you can choose between vertex, edge or face.

Not sure what the Maya shortcut is.

someone recommended me that you can bind vertex/edge/polygon to 1/2/3 by right clicking in the Ctrl+Tab. Im using the custom HeavyPoly interface so I cannot commend on it. If anyone knows the “mesh Select mode” hotkey command let me know!

It seems the easiest way is with Smart select (Thread here, goes for 3$ @ GumRoad)

the smart select is afaik just an extension of the edge/face selection methods. The OP is looking for a way to quickly select vertices. I would recommend HeavyPoly’s custom UI which is 5x more intuitive and useful then the default Blender and is stable with the latest release. @ HeavyPoly’s UI there is a pie menu that lets you quickly select vertex/edge/face or object mode. At first I was used to pressing 1 2 3 (Max/MODO user) but after a day of use I already like this alternative.

Took me a while to figure this out as well: Input > 3D View > Mesh. Add the entry wm.context_set_value and insert tool_settings.mesh_select_mode into the Context Attributes. Next to Value, enter (True,False,False) for vertex select, (False,True,False) for edge select, etc.

Also, don’t use the Max or Maya input presets. It may look like the solution to everything at first glance but it’s a trap! :wink: