ThreadRipper performance issues

Hi,

I am using Blender for a couple of weeks now and I am mightily impressed with it. Since doing some modeling with the normal poly tools I wanted to start sculpting. In all the videos I’ve checked on the Internet it seems to work really smooth even with high poly counts, matcap and even AO turned on. The problem is that it runs like molasses on my machine. If I smooth something or draw some things after a certain amount it just chugs and chugs, lagging for a couple of seconds. Even saving takes like half a minute. Now I’ve also noticed when modeling with the other tools that there seems to be some stuttering going on when moving vertices or rotating the viewport, but these are so small that I just thought it was normal. The sculpting seems to have exacerbated it and making it so noticeable that it is unusable.

System specs:

Asrock Taichi x399, latest bios
TR 1950
32GB RAM
512 NVME system disk
Geforce GTX1080TI
Geforce GTX1080

OS KUbunu 17.10
Drivers: NVidia 396.18
Blender 279a and 279b

I have had my files on a networkdrive and after reading that it might make Blender slow I copied the files over to the local drive. No difference.

I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, from 384 to 396 and that also does not seem to make a difference.

There is something weird going on, I have a Windows 10 VM installed on this machines that has the regular 1080 passed through to it and that VM runs, much, much better. Like night and day. Sculpting is smooth, undo lags though but that seems to be normal, but everything else is as fast as it should be. The VM has 6 cores, 8 GB RAM, the 1080 and a VM disk running of the same drive as the host OS.

Any ideas? I am a bit stumped.

well it sounds more like it has something to do with your scene, not the computer. Saving for 1/2 a minute indicates you have a humongous scene.

What exactly are you doing? is it sculpting?

Well it is just a simple scene, only one object that has just over a million triangles, but the problems crop up at 100.000 tris also. I’ve tested it on my dualboot Windows 10 installation and everything is instantaneous there. The problem is that I don’t want to use Windows if I can help it.

The file is just over 40MB in size.

I am recompiling a new kernel as I type this, we’ll see if that makes a difference. ThreadRipper seems a bit finicky in Linux, so maybe the newer kernels work better.