Screen capturing program

I have tried several Cam Studio, DXtory, Rylstim, bandicam and a few others. They all record at a slow framerate. I think it is probably because I am recording a Blender game. The only one that works half way decent is Bandicam and that is only if I record from the 3d window, If I try recording a game run by blenderplayer bandicam works slowly. My question is there a screen capture program that will work with no lag for a blender game?
P.S. I have tried dozens of different settings on those screen capture programs.
digiman

https://obsproject.com/

i second obs. if you are on windows, make sure you check “disable aero”. then you can record at a different framerate then the game.

check out “input overlay” addon for obs. could be nice.

I just tried OBS, never heard of it but it works great. Does not seem to be any lag. Thanks Richard. I am recording at 30FPS but I will try Daedalus’s suggestion. Thanks

digiman

OBS is great. Doesn’t take every resource the way others do.

I have been fooling with OBS a few hours now, it works great except one thing, I get a black a lot of the time. Sometimes it works but the majority of the time I get black screen. Does anyone else have this?

digiman

I use Screencast-o-matic, it’s really nice and cheap.

I personally like Camtasia and use it for all my tutorials

Monitor capture is probably what you want, shouldn’t ever get a black screen with that, however that can take more resources.
Set up a game capture source and double click it and in the dropdown select the program you want it to focus on. Hope that helps.

For nerds:

ffmpeg -f x11grab -i :0.0 out.mp4

If you have performance issues with that, add

-preset ultrafast

There are lots of other flags that change performance as well (including the video encoding format etc).

I personally use Linux Lubuntu and Kazam (there is in the repository).

• Lubuntu is the fastest distribution among modern, and much faster Windows :no:. In any OS the Blender does not work faster than in Lubuntu - it’s really time-tested. And plus the classic interface, and very soft.
  • Kazam is very simple program and very fast.

Thanks for this. I’ve been using virtual Dub since it’s beginning. (Home security cameras also) I’ll give this a try. :slight_smile:

OBS was the best, these days graphic cards do the recording on it’s own, way better then using other software.

for AMD hit alt+r to bring up the overlay or ctrl+shift+r to record directly
for nVidia alt+f9

This is if you have an able graphic card.