chair puff?

Hey there!

I’m starting with Blender and I have this feeling that I’m asking a really stupid quesion, but welp, I don’t know how to do it :stuck_out_tongue: So I’m wondering how can I make those white puffs that are on this chair (I’m trying to model these chairs).

How would you do it guys? I tried to move up a plane with turning on this O key and it kinda works, but not really. Will be glad for any help!!

Cheers

The cushion part could be done with simple proportional editing the top section of an applied subdivided cube and selecting the center face and moving it up on z axis adjusting the size of the affected proportional edided area to your liking till you get a curved shape you like.

It’s also quite simple with the subdivision surface modifier, see example.

You can also look for cushion or pillow tutorials which will give you a good enough understanding to model similar objects.

Attachments

Puff.blend (440 KB)

If you’re referring to the light-falls on the cushions of the chair, I would (in BI) do it exactly as I would in the theater – I would put a “gobo” on a set of spotlights, matching the pattern of the chair as shown.

I’d create the light on the windowsill in like fashion. (Spotlights can be square, and for more control they can be layer-specific.)

(If I actually wanted to create the fall-of-light that appears to be reflecting onto the wall off the back of the chairs, I would use layer-specific spotlights which “shine through” the chair.)

Although “your human eye” supplies a “plausible explanation” for the light – that it’s streaming through the window at a certain angle and falling onto the cushion – there’s no reason to try to match actual reality. “Look at the light,™” decide what you want the light to be doing, then find the easiest and cheapest “plausible-enough way” to make the light do that.

In my humble, although you can strive to match physical reality, and although Blender can actually do that, you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns. You get “stuck on just one render,” with too-many other renders left to go. In a production situation I would use compositing to let me handle “the spotlights” and “the rest of it” separately, because I don’t need to waste time re-rendering a perfectly good interior just to futz with special-effects lights.

In like manner, I might de-focus the nearest chair body to mimic depth-of-field, which in this shot doesn’t appear to be too accurate anyway. Adding the “reflection” in that far window … good place for a texture. The list goes on and on and on.

I want very-precise control, and the ability to tweak things, and I need it very quickly in order to keep schedule. Compositing techniques and other ways to “cheat the shot™” enable you to do that. A shot that seems “totally realistic” can be “totally fake,” but in this context, “cheat is good.”