Please recommend optimal build for 3d animation

Hello everybody.

I want to build a Desktop (or Workstation if possible) at 1200$ include screen monitor. Will use softwares which have realtime render like Blender Eevee, Unreal Engine, Unity, Clarisse; in addition Lumion, CityEngine; and post-production softwares of Adobe.

I’m new on this so I don’t know which organs/gears I should pick. Please recommend some names.

Thank you.

For CPU you choose one with good balance between number of threads and single thread performance according to your budget. That is, a CPU that is not badly positioned between these two benchmarks:

For GPU you could see some results like these:

I guess that result order can match OpenGL performance too.

Monitor, I do not have much idea about it lately.

For good reference (if blender Cycles is primary concern) is here : http://download.blender.org/institute/benchmark/latest_snapshot.html

allows you to click on the legend to remove unneeded hardware to see just th parts that intrest you. This will give you a good start.

For 1200$ this is a good starting point I think
PCPartPicker part list
Budget is too tight to include a better monitor. I think you must compromise for now with an entry level 24" FHD IPS.
The new Ryzen Gen 2 processors come with decent stock cpu cooler and improved turbo clocks.
You can start with 1x16gb RAM and ugprade to 2x16gb in the future. Single channel won’t have a significant impact in performance in your case.

birdnamnam’s build is a good start. Only concern is the single dim of memory. Based on below testing, there is a noticeable impact between single channel vs dual channel configuration

Thank you guys very much I will take good looks.

Seems like Radeon and i7 are pretty good for Cycles. And for my budget I guess my best bet should be Ryzen. Yet I asked a friend of mine who is an architect, he recommended Dual Xeon.

$1200 is for present time for the major hardware, and I am planning to slowly upgrade the additional minor hardware, for example RAM with which I can add more unit without replacing or throwing anything away.

@birdnamnam, actually I am having a monitor which has a broken panel inside it. And it - maybe - repaired with about $50 but I don’t know should I try to heal a broken mirror, since everybody who I asked said that I better buy a new one.

About Ryzen, according to what I read and heard, seems like it is better at gaming than rendering. And yet I watch some rendering comparisons on youtube, Ryzen seems better than i7.

The impact is significant in gaming in this case because it refers to the integrated gpu of Ryzen 2400G and it talks about gaming only, not 3d apps.
With a discrete gpu and in 3d apps, afaik, the impact is insignificant, that’s why I pointed it with the phrase “Single channel won’t have a significant impact in performance in your case”.

Thank you guys I will take good looks.

a friend told me I should take Dual Xeon. If I would be able to upgrade within 1-2 months later should I take Xeon or Ryzen?

Actually I am having a 24" monitor that has broken panel. Replacing the panel cost about $50. Though everybody I asked about that monitor, said I should buy a new one, but I will try to fix it before buying.

A dual Xeon system with 1200$? Not a good idea and only possible with 2nd hand previous generation’s Xeons.
With Blender you’ll be rendering basically with the gpu, so high core numbers won’t be of significant importance. Even with hybrid rendering, the main burden goes to the gpu.
Focus on good single threaded performance and a good gpu, at least the best gpu your money can buy.

How about something like a remote workstation service? (I don’t know if this thing exist, the idea has just lighted up an hour ago and have been googling it, but haven’t found a service or a price list yet).

If that thing exist can I use it until I have ability to afford a good real workstation?

Online render farms exist. They provide hardware suited for rendering (large numbers of GPUs or CPUs) so you can have a workstation optimized for object design/creation (fast processor speed with low core-count, modest cost GPU). Trying to do day-to-day work through a remote service is finicky at best, and a wasted effort at worst.