Drag and drop without setting position keyframes possible?

Hi.

I have a question about transferring objects by using another object to do this.
Classic example: An arm is grapping a ball and drop it at a different position.

I already know how this work and use the “Child of” constrain modifier for the solution.
What I don’t like is to write the location coordinates of the moved object (the ball e.g.) into keyframes.

So my question is:
Is there a solution or a kind of Child of modifier that is changing the real global coordinates of a moved object permamently? In this case it would be much easier to animate, because the only thing you have to control is the current parent object that is changing the position of the constrained child.

Thank you
Chris

Try using multiple ‘child of’ constraints and animating the constraint influences. Make sure to disable the other ‘child of’ constraints when you hit ‘Set Inverse’.

Could explain it more detailed please?
What happen if the arm is moving further after dropping the ball?

The constraint you want to activate should have influence 1, other constraints should have influence 0. Only one constraint should be active at a time (in this setup). Just keyframe the influence slider.

Of course, after dopping the ball all influences should be set to 0.

Attached is my example, that I am working on. Actually it is the same described situation, but not using a ball. I use the yellow block instead.

My problem is, I must correct the target position after the movement, by setting a key into the box. I would like not to set any keyframes to the box. Instead just move it by using the robot arm.

Sorry, but I still don’t understand how to use your tip. Maybe the scene could help. Thank you.

Attachments

robot_arm01.blend (726 KB)

The yellow box also has a movement independent of the robot arm (moving into and out of the box), so I don’t understand how you want to achieve that by parenting it to the robot arm. Looks like I officially don’t get what you want to do.

It was just a question of mine to know if there is a way to move the global location of an object by constrain to another object.

Imagine you constrain the box to the arm, move it to a location by using the arm as the parent and drop it. After dropping the box, you should have the new box position, but without the constrain to the arm e.g.

Maybe this idea help. It is what I would like to do:

1. Constrain the box to the lower arm.
  2. Move the arm, and the box follows his parent (the arm).
  3. After the movement: Free the box constrain from the arm and get a new box location.

If I free the constrain without saving the global box coordinates, then the box jumps back to its origin. I understand the reason, but would like to know if there is a modifier that really transform/moves an object from location A to B.

No problem. Thank you for your time.

You can apply the visual transform to any object at any time: space > Apply Visual Transform. But that would screw up previous animation, if not keyframed. So, I’ve no idea.

Register visual transforms for the object instead of regular keyframes. Or do it via physics instead.

If you only care about position, it’s easy enough to do without visual via snapping.

One way to do it would be to add another child of constraint to the cube and then as you keyframe the influence of the child of constraint from 1 to 0 on the hand you keyframe the influence of the other constraint (Empty in the example) from 0 to 1.

robot_arm02.blend (687 KB)

Yes. This is something I tried later too.

For the interested: There are some constrain modifiers called “Copy Location”, Rotation and more.
I parented an Empty object to the box and read the position of it to move the box to the new position after moving. This worked well too but has some other issues if you want to animate the box. But really cool, what is possible.

Thank you all for your tips.

Chris

I think I am pleased now. The system is well prepared to replace the yellow box with any other object in a fast way and the anim does the rest.