Looking for Tips to Add Detail to Existing Assets with Organic and Inorganic Parts

Hey everyone,

I want to improve the model quality of some clothing items.
I’m no Blender pro, so normally I’d just whip out the handy dandy sculpt tool, subdivide the mesh, and start sculpting away.
Recently a friend recommended I use displacement with wrinkled cloth textures to quickly add a little detail.
This sounded like a great idea, but I had a hard time doing it with a displacement map so I ended up just using a wrinkled cloth texture as a sculpting brush, which worked great, but some of the clothing have “inorganic” parts, like a cop’s badge.

I’m trying to use this as a learning experience to get better with working on details.
What are some good tips and tricks for increasing the detail on meshes that have a mix of organic parts, like cloth and flesh, and inorganic parts, like straps, metal strips, badges?

Thanks!

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling” (if you’re interested in faking it, I could move this thread to Materials and Textures. Just let me know)

Modeling sounds about right, thanks Fweeb!