Brush paints on each polygon, instead of on UV

I am trying to paint a texure on terrain (just paint directly on the empty 2k texture, not to use masks or something), I:

1. Unwrapped the terrain (tried both unwrap and smart one)
  2. Put the blank 2k texture on the terrain
  3. Went in to the Texture section of the terrain object (one between material and particles), there I selected Brush and I opened up a gravel texture
  4. I went to texture paint mode, brush mapping is set to tiled (I tried with stencil too, but same issue), the gravel texture is selected in the “texture” section of the brush.
  5. I got this monstrosity. I haven’t used Blender in a long time and I never even really learned Brush that well, so maybe the answer to the problem is really easy, but I can’t see it.

Note, the UV is fine, I haven’t created a gazillion seams and UV’s and put them on each other, since only that would explain this. Also, I applied scale and rotation to the terrain object.

Blend file for inspection???
Check if the texture is using the UV coordinates.

Hm, I switched to texture view and there it works fine, but if I switch to material view or render view, it looks like the image above.

I went in the node editor and I selected “Texture” option for the gravel (the thing I circled in red) and in material/render view it changed something, but now you can’t see any textures whatsoever, just the white 2k texture, it turns back to the image above if I select point or vector, but looking in texture view it still looks ok, regardless of whether I select texture, point or vector.

Update, while writing this, I realized that the material with the white 2k texture is the new principled shader, I tried using the classic diffused shader instead and loading in the same texture and now it works fine in all view mods, texture, material and render.

So there it is, the problem is related to the principled shader, any idea what could it be?

Update 2#, I turned the principled shader again, set base color to image texture and loaded in the white image and now even the principled works fine, although prior to all this I haven’t done anything else to the principled shader, so I have no idea what was the issue… However now in the node editor there is no mapping, it’s just “image texture” (gravel) > “principled shader” > material/output. So perhaps the problem was that you can’t use mapping for painting on a a base texture if you aren’t using masks or something.

Yep, I reloaded the last save I made when I got the problem, I removed the mapping in Node editor and it works fine.