Couple of questions from a MODO user (UI, hotkeys).

hi all! I am looking into switching from MODO to Blender for hard surface game art. Some questions I have so far:

• can I change panning to MMB instead of Shift + MMB ?
  • how do I center an object to X/Y/Z axis ? (move object to X=0 only, not 0.0.0.).
  • Is there a “symmetry” mode (not symmetry modifier, im talking about realtime symmetry mode).
  • how do I bind number keys (1,2,3) to vertex/edge/faces ?

I probabely have more questions on the way. Anyone willing to help me with these I thank :)!

EDIT

Probably. Blender’s keymap can be viewed in the User Preferences window (and you might wanna start there to make sure you’re not going to overwrite an important shortcut). As to how to go about it, I’ve attached an Open Office doc below that explains how to do it for the 1,2, 3 keys and the same process may work here, too. If not, I can’t help. Blender’s keymap editing changed a couple of years ago and tutorials are scarce.

Select something, make sure to leave your mouse cursor in the 3D View, and hit the period key on the numpad. Works with single or multiple entities. it also works with Blender’s other editor windows.

And if you’re using a laptop with no numpad, set emulation in User Preferences > Input (left side, almost half way done). It should transfer this action to the normal period key, but if not, I can’t help.

Not that I’m aware of. Using the mirror modifier does the same job non-destructively, though and can be applied to make it permanent (you likely guessed that).

This Open Office doc will explain it:
Shortcut for Component Selection Type.zip (316 KB)

I don’t know, but if you use the extrude tool instead, you’ll be able to, I’m sure.

• how do I bind number keys (1,2,3) to vertex/edge/faces ?

EDIT

• how come I cannot “INSET” further then this on my picture ?
    You’re failed to include the inset settings in your screenshot. Please show all relevant info when asking support questions.

thanks for the help guys! It seems I could not inset scale correctly since my “center” was still at origin. If I ctrl+right click it sets it to whatever selection I have set and it will scale fine.

Select something, make sure to leave your mouse cursor in the 3D View, and hit the period key on the numpad. Works with single or multiple entities. it also works with Blender’s other editor windows.

And if you’re using a laptop with no numpad, set emulation in User Preferences > Input (left side, almost half way done). It should transfer this action to the normal period key, but if not, I can’t help.

I think you misunderstood my request on this one. Hitting the period “focusses/zooms in” to selection but what I am looking for is this:

Is there a quick way to find the actions of hotkeys ? I have a ton of hotkeys I want to remap but I have trouble looking them up in the hotkey editor. My ‘‘Mesh Select Mode’’ is bind to a custom key and I cannot find it in the hotkey editor anyway.For instance I want to bind hotkeys to these commands but I cannot find where they are:

// = select trough toggle.
// = select inbetween.
// = merge vertices.
// = hide selected.
// = isolate selected.
// = unhide all.
// = toggle grid.
// = zoom in selected.
// = fill polygon.

In the n-panel on the right side of the 3d view, you can change the x-value to zero.

In the tabs on the left side of the screen – click the options tab, Mesh, select the X Mirror checkbox. Works in edit mode only.

As for remapping hotkeys – I would advise against it since you’ll be quite lost if you decide to follow any tutorials. A better option is an addon that can be found in the forums here that allows you to create your own pop up menus. I use it for all my common tasks and it is invaluable. It’s called Advanced UI Menus by Ryan Inch.

In the n-panel on the right side of the 3d view, you can change the x-value to zero.

is there a script for this function or can I make my own macro for this ?

In the tabs on the left side of the screen – click the options tab, Mesh, select the X Mirror checkbox. Works in edit mode only.

this does not seem to work, only when “moving” a face does it respond. When I try any modeling operation it breaks.

I absolutely need to alter the hotkeys if I want to use it professionally btw.