replica vs. dupliverts in Carrara 5

pretty col in my opinion.

just curious if that could be done with a python script
this would take the duplivert by far more forward.
http://server2.eovia.com/demos/carrara5/replicator.html

claas

Looks a lot like what was done with the City Block Generator/Beast.

it would be fine to have such modifier or to extent particle system with multiple dupliverting (???) so a quick forest/vegetation system would be possible. ‘ecoparticles’ ???

and a preset subsystem.

i agree, that should be possible with the static particle system,

with an image map you could decide where particles should
grwo and where not.

how ever cluster, random rotation, random scale would be missing.
also align along normals and align along one axis.

i did not hear about that cityblock generator.

claas

It does look like it does similar things to the Beast script. Though with true 3D objects, by the looks of it.

Beast generate cards on random facs and you can provide random sizes, rotations, scales, etc.

This one looks like it just has a few more features to it.

BgDM

It does look like it does similar things to the Beast script. Though with true 3D objects, by the looks of it.

Beast generate cards on random facs and you can provide random sizes, rotations, scales, etc.

If you choose General instead of Hair&Fur in Beast, you can also use true 3D objects.

Took the words right out of my mouth… 'cause Beast started as a city block generator script where you’d take pre-built models of buildings and it would place them for you.

well, this is where blender would require an overhaul of the workflow, in my opnion:
complex duplucation.
no, not dupliverts.
extrution gets closer.

it would need its own entire dialog, for rotations, paths, surfaces to follow, sizes, arrays. and this is where i find the interface lacking. it would have to clutter the edit panel. it is a nice tool to have though.

problem I (and I assume every blender user) have with scripts is they’re pretty much version dependant. I wrote a couple of scripts (for personal use) that work with blender 2.34 - 2.37a and Instinctive Blender2 - which can place objects and groups of objects on surfaces according to predefined rules, and with randomisation (how much obj per face, which type of faces etc). They’re broken in tuhopuu and 2.38upwards.

That said, I’d like to have a ‘mega particles gizmo’ that would do it natively and allow me to save scene and come back later and - simply change ‘megaparticle’ setting to further tweak if needed.

Imo that’s pretty much ‘as low as it gets’ - simple reason to have it hardcoded into blender. and properly hooked via bpy so one can extract/set ‘presets’ or generate ‘scenery on the fly’.

hi tedi

i agrre with you that there is a problem with script based tools.
so often i was not able to run something that i stope looking
for scripts here.

i wish there would be a way to keep scripts running or compatible
with new versions of blender but i guess becaue of all the
transitions and improvements lately that this was just the bad
downside of it.

claas

This will be possible in python when there is a good macro interface. For now it’s possible to build a script to do so, but it require a lot of hand job for now.

but it require a lot of hand job for now
rated xxx. nasty mods …

mh macro interface, that sounds great.

tedi,

are you scripts somewhere?

have you looked at what the issues with the current api are?

i’m sure there are minor. some API changes that break scripts are almost like bugfixes, some are style misses, some are errors in the recoding.

we’ve talked about adding randomness to duplis too, 'cause also some of my scripts have been basically just replicating dupliverts but with additional randomness, like http://orange.blender.org/blog/generating-shapes-with-animatable-curves

~Toni

Dont speak of the replicators anymore. They almost wiped out the asgard!
We should leave this topic.