a new BlenderMan version (Beta7.3)

I’m happy to announce that there’s a new BlenderMan version available. Since green is concentrating his efforts on enabling direct RenderMan support now that the Blender sources are open I decided (with green’s approval) to publish an update to his excelent script. The new version (Beta7.3) is mostly a bugfix release (Beta7.2 was pretty buggy, many of it’s bugs being introduced by yours truly :)). I was planning to make the script available for download on my site, but it seems there are some problems with my provider and I’m unable to make any changes to the site. I don’t know how much time will be needed to sort out the problems, so if anyone can temporarily host the new BlenderMan version I (and I hope others) will be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Goran

Hi Goran,
Good news about the release of the next version of Blenderman, I hope it still has support for 3delight.
As you cannot find a host for making it available for download, would you be kind enough to email me the script [[email protected]].
Cheers.
Adrian.

I will host the script for download. Send me the file(s) and I’ll put them up and post a link. Send the files to [email protected].

Yup. 3Delight (which although still buggy is my favorite RenderMan renderer) is supported, now (hopefully :)) much better then before. Many of the fixes in Beta7.3 are related to bugs in the 3Delight support.

Goran

The new 7.3 script has been uploaded to:

http://www.bigpony.com/storage/guest1/blenderman0.1beta7.3.zip

Please let me know if there are problems with this.

Thanks mrunion :smiley: The link works perfectly.

For anybody previously unfamiliar with BlenderMan, it’s a script that exports to RenderMan compilant renderers (3Delight, BMRT, Entropy and PRMan are supported at the moment). Due to my laziness in converting the code :), but primary because of bugs in the 2.25 API it only works with Blender 2.23. It’s not as intuitive and easy to use as LFexport, nor it directly converts many object settings, but if one has basic knowledge of the RenderMan Interface you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to use it. There are two important problems I’m aware of: 1. the UV mapping when using PointsPolygons is not perfect and 2. because of the way Blender’s API handles memory managment, continous export (for ex. animations) of complex scenes can be a problem even on machines with lots of RAM. Since I’m still a begginer in Python you can expect to find small bugs here and there (and everywhere :)). I hope you find the script useful and feel free to send any problems, comments and/or suggestions you may have.

Goran

This is just what I’ve been waiting for, you know… I’ve always secretly hoped for Renderman support. Okay, not that secretly…

With BMRT’s demise, and now that it’s near impossible to find a good free Renderman renderer Unless It’s Aqsis… will there be support for Aqsis? =)

Okay, it’s beta. One preliminary run on a random scene showed that my kewl particle fire was mysteriously gone and that the stuff on hidden layers were not very well hidden. But it’s definitely a good start and wayyy better than nothing. =)

Wish you all merry developers luck on all this BlenderMan stuff…

With BMRT’s demise, and now that it’s near impossible to find a good free Renderman renderer Unless It’s Aqsis… will there be support for Aqsis? =)

Okay, it’s beta. One preliminary run on a random scene showed that my kewl particle fire was mysteriously gone and that the stuff on hidden layers were not very well hidden. But it’s definitely a good start and wayyy better than nothing. =)

Wish you all merry developers luck on all this BlenderMan stuff…[/quote]

I wouldn’t agree that AQSIS is the best free RenderMan compilant renderer available. It has a promising future, but it’s still far from being usable in a production environment (slow, bugs, many features missing…). Although not open-source 3Delight is IMHO the best free RenderMan renderer out at the moment. Also, if you have BMRT I think it’s perfectly legal to use it; it’s not legal to distribute it. It’s true that BMRT has no future and hasn’t been updated in ages, but like Lightflow it will be one of the best renderers (RenderMan and non-RenderMan compilant) for months, maybe years to come.

If you still want to use AQSIS with BlenderMan I think the best way to do it would be to export without rendering using PRMan as the selected renderer and then render the exported RIB with AQSIS.

As you noticed :slight_smile: particle export is not supported, but you can chose one of the layers to be a hidden layer. All objects that are on that layer won’t be exported.

Goran

Thanks mrunion :smiley: The link works perfectly.

For anybody previously unfamiliar with BlenderMan, it’s a script that exports to RenderMan compilant renderers (3Delight, BMRT, Entropy and PRMan are supported at the moment). Due to my laziness in converting the code :), but primary because of bugs in the 2.25 API it only works with Blender 2.23. It’s not as intuitive and easy to use as LFexport, nor it directly converts many object settings, but if one has basic knowledge of the RenderMan Interface you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to use it. There are two important problems I’m aware of: 1. the UV mapping when using PointsPolygons is not perfect and 2. because of the way Blender’s API handles memory managment, continous export (for ex. animations) of complex scenes can be a problem even on machines with lots of RAM. Since I’m still a begginer in Python you can expect to find small bugs here and there (and everywhere :)). I hope you find the script useful and feel free to send any problems, comments and/or suggestions you may have.

Goran[/quote]

I got links to other renderman and ray tracers if you are considering any others http://mysite.iptic.com/virtualblender/Links/Links2.html