povanim problem: "string index out of range"

hey guys!

I have a prob with the pocanim-script. I always get this error when i want to export
the scene:
“string index out of range”

Can anybody help me?

cya henrik

Hi,
could you give more details like the version of povanim and the other lines written in the dos console before this error.

regards.

i just fixed the prob…
It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid…
the object had no name

cya henrik and thank you anyway!

I am writing a FAQ for the povanim website and
some details could really help me.

regards.

well , ok…
It’s the newest version from your website (dont know the number,but downloaded today)

As long the object didnt have a name, it didnt work. But when
i gave it a name everything worked perfecto!

I cant give you the other error-lines , cos im not at my computer…

cya henrik

Thank you.
I will try to make something about this
curious problem.

regards.

well… now i have another prolem.
If i want to export a bigger scene, blender takes about 700mb memory!
So do you first calculate everything and then write it on the disk or do you
write it to the disk directly?
If you first calculate everything, would it be a big problem to change it?

cya henrik

All Data for a same object are read, evaluated and written
to disk.

If you are using subsurf*12, you may have problem, sure
:slight_smile:
… but I can’t do nothing for this.

regards.

well… its subsurf 2 and the lightflow-export-script can export it in some seconds. That’s
why i was wondering… But if you cant change anything , i’ll have to use
Lightflow :frowning:

cya henrik

P.S.: i just checked. The whole scene has about 50 000 vertices…
I dont think thats THAT much…

There is a problem with a mesh control function. Not really
in the exportation, it could be removed … perhaps.

that would be very cool :smiley:

But then you probably have other problems, better stick with POVanim, it is much better.

You probably use the Blender210 getMesh() function? If so, that is part of the problem as far as speed is concerned, for some reason this can take hours sometimes even for moderately complex meshes. I solved that by not using it, I completely rely on the regular Blender module. I know that everybody uses this because of the easy to use mesh.texture datamember to get the full texture path, but you can solve that by using the face.image name and then searching for the full path using that name as a pattern, at least that is what I did in the LF script. Of course the disadvantage is that you have to know the main texture directory to search, that is why it is needed to specify it when running the LF script for the first time. You might find other useful ideas for POVanim in there maybe…

But then you probably have other problems, better stick with POVanim, it is much better.
[/quote]

Kind of you,
:wink:
… but it is a bit overestimate.

Yes, if the objects are quickly erased there is less problem with
the memory.

… If so, that is part of the problem as far as speed is concerned, for some reason this can take hours sometimes even for moderately complex meshes. I solved that by not using it…

Ok, I am going to test this solution.

regards

One resquest: Please, Please, Please lose the bright yellow on your site. I tried reading it and after about 5 minutes I got a splitting headache :-?

[quote=“M@dcow”]

One resquest: Please, Please, Please lose the bright yellow on your site. I tried reading it and after about 5 minutes I got a splitting headache :-?[/quote]

Are you sure?
There is no “bright” yellow on my site. Yellow, there is
(call me “Vincent”), but a “dull” yellow which becomes
softly white.

Jms:

Whatever colour you classify it as makes no difference, the site is very harsh on the eye…Look at this site (Elysiun) for a classic example of how to make your site more user friendly…