View Poll Results: Which Linux distribution?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gentoo

6 25.00%
  • Arch Linux

2 8.33%
  • Debian

5 20.83%
  • Other (please specify)

11 45.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you're after 64 bit Debian, did you take a look at Kanotix http://www.kanotix.com/ ? It was the easiest install of any distro I've ever tried, the same disk is live / HD install (now on a DVD also), and it comes very complete. I used Kanotix for about a year, the only negative I can think of is that most of the users are German speaking, so getting easy to understand help in English can sometimes take a couple tries. Otherwise, it ran -much- faster than Ubuntu on my machines.

Originally Posted by bigkahuna
    If you're after 64 bit Debian, did you take a look at Kanotix http://www.kanotix.com/ ? It was the easiest install of any distro I've ever tried, the same disk is live / HD install (now on a DVD also), and it comes very complete. I used Kanotix for about a year, the only negative I can think of is that most of the users are German speaking, so getting easy to understand help in English can sometimes take a couple tries. Otherwise, it ran -much- faster than Ubuntu on my machines.
    Hehe, I've been looking into these 64-bit live CDs. This is a candidate for Debian, but I think I will go with Arch64.

If you're new to Linux, try Ubuntu. It's Debian based but is far easier to work with and manage.
    Happiness is a loaded camera.

@ Dittohead
    Originally Posted by Milky
    I'm not a linux newbie
    Besides that, I think Ubuntu is too bloated for my liking. Comes with a lot of packages I will never use.

Is there anything similar (in friendliness) to Ubuntu? I've tried the Breezy/Dapper LiveCDs, and I'm having mouse/resolution problems in both (I also tried Slax, and it worked perfectly).

Gentoo all the way baby!!! Once you experience portage you wont want anything else. Yes, it takes more time to install, but I'd rather have speed than bloat. Besides, once you install gentoo a few times, you can do it fairly fast and easy. And there is 64bit. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Milky
    @ Dittohead

Besides that, I think Ubuntu is too bloated for my liking. Comes with a lot of packages I will never use.
    In that case (being that you're A) you're not new and B) I obviously didn't read your original post well...haha, sorry man!) I'd do gentoo. Gentoo is fun, though it's a lot of work. You learn quite a bit from it though.
    Happiness is a loaded camera.

If you decided to go with Arch, let me tell you something: I'm about halfway through building my Arch box (32 bit) and it freakin' rocks! I cannot believe how much of a performance boost I've gotton from moving up. There are some quirks; but as the rumours suggest, the community is awesome.

Originally Posted by Friday13
    Is there anything similar (in friendliness) to Ubuntu? I've tried the Breezy/Dapper LiveCDs, and I'm having mouse/resolution problems in both (I also tried Slax, and it worked perfectly).
    Try OpenSuSe or Mandrake, they are 2 distros know to be friendly too.

Originally Posted by Dittohead
    In that case (being that you're A) you're not new and B) I obviously didn't read your original post well...haha, sorry man!) I'd do gentoo. Gentoo is fun, though it's a lot of work. You learn quite a bit from it though.
    Haha, no problem. Well yeah, I'm gonna go Gentoo some time in the future, but right now I'm using Arch. But I'm looking forward to trying it out, and as you said, you learn a lot from just the installation. I mean, I was pretty impressed with the skills my sister acquired after getting Gentoo.

Originally Posted by Skottish
    If you decided to go with Arch, let me tell you something: I'm about halfway through building my Arch box (32 bit) and it freakin' rocks! I cannot believe how much of a performance boost I've gotton from moving up. There are some quirks; but as the rumours suggest, the community is awesome.
    Arch has great performance, it's just about Gentoo without the compiling times. :P Although an optimized Gentoo-box is faster, for sure. Yeah, the Arch community is really great.

Originally Posted by Fliberty
    Gentoo all the way baby!!! Once you experience portage you wont want anything else. Yes, it takes more time to install, but I'd rather have speed than bloat. Besides, once you install gentoo a few times, you can do it fairly fast and easy. And there is 64bit. Just my 2 cents.
    There's 64-bit, but... I think at the moment at least, 64-bit is really alpha. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't work 64-bit native, for instance firefox-plugins for flash and java. Wine / Cedega is also hard to set-up. So, I think I'll wait with a 64-bit native OS until more stuff is 64-bit native.
    Last edited by Milky; 25-Jun-06 at 05:25.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12