Walk.O.matic 0.49.7 public release

Yup. Here it is. Writing documentation is very boring, so I forced myself to speed things up a bit to get it over with…

The stuff can be found here: http://home.bip.net/millfield

All you need to know is in there, plus demo-clips, user docs and the download package.

Do yourself (and me) a favour and read the documentation on the site as well as the user manual included in the download.

I hope y’all like this script. Merry Christmas in advance!

gotta love the liscence agreement :smiley:

i’ll play with it tonight and give my comments afterward.

Martin

couple of suggestions (other than the ones in the To do list):

better names for the Empties, meaningful names, not just Empty.001, which can make it difficult when typing the constraints.

automatic lookup if Empties already exists would be nice, especially when recalculating.

good script, but the use of Empties makes it Action window and NLA imcompatible, so that’s a bad side, but since it replace those entirely, it’s not so bad.

Martin

me knows this sounds stupid, but although you said not to use this script without proper knowledge of armatures(just to show I read the documentation :smiley: ), I don’t know how to set up the constraints. What must i constrain to which empty? If i were to use Weirdhat’s foot rigging tutorial, what must I connect to have a moving foot? I understand the author is busy(prolly thinking bout the new version already :slight_smile: ), so this is a question addressed to anyone else who used this script and made it work. Once again, sorry for being such a noob :frowning:

theeth:
-Yes, naming the empties would be nice. It seems however that the current API of 2.25 doesn’t allow it. Please let me know if you’ve got some snippet that works.
-Automatic lookup if empties already exist. Yup, that’s already done in my own dev. copy
-And yes, you get problems with Actions/NLA, but it should still be possible to use those bits for other parts of your armature, like arms etcetera

Thanks for your feedback. It shallst be placethed on my stack. 8)

adyus:

• First set an IK-contraint on your footbone, and use the heel empty as target for that (that’s “empty” and “empty.001” if there were no other empties in your scene prior to running the script)
  • If you want footbone control, also add a look-at constraint, with the empty in front of the heel as target
  • If you want toebone control, add another look-at constraint to the toebone, with the last empty (the one furthest away from your proxy in the positive Y-direction)

/me goes back to the drawing board

I don`t know the 2.25 API really much, but I’ll look into it tonight.

Martin

just a glance at the demos, looks very promising, but missing some things to make it more natural.

You can simply change the name like this:

ob = Object.New('Empty')
ob.name = "NEWNAME"

Works in 2.23 as well.

Oh, and great script by the way !! :smiley:

eeshlo: Thanx for the solution to the name thingy! That’s far too easy… :} I guess I’ve been coding Java for too long. Since I couldn’t find an accessor function like setName() I just assumed there wasn’t one… he he. I’ll fix that right away. As far as Python goes, I’m almost a total newbie.

stephen2002: Yup. In my original pile of papers, I’ve made a note about a humanize()-function. Just to add some neat randomness to it. It’ll probably be included in the next version.

To all: Don’t expect the next version to arrive any time soon. Won’t happen beforel january -03. Maybe a maintenance release before christmas, that’s all.

little question just like that. Why do you always use 2 variables to store the same info? Since those are immutable objects, they don’t act like pointers and take more memory for each variable you assign them to.

Martin

Assuming that you refer to the user variable section: that’s just for the average user really. By saying the same thing twice on the same row I increase the chances that they really understand what the variable means… Pretty weird maybe, but the extra memory used will definately fall within the limits of ‘insignificant’. Maybe I’ll drop that bit the next time around. Maybe not. It’s the teacher in me, I guess :smiley:

Assuming that you refer to the user variable section: that’s just for the average user really. By saying the same thing twice on the same row I increase the chances that they really understand what the variable means… [/quote]
that’s what comments are for, usually :wink:

Martin