Blender Barrage-Alpha Release page 5

I found this game online and I thought it would be cool to make a blender version of it. Anyone could submit a ‘microgame’ and I would compile them into one fast paced game. Is there any interest in making something like this? If there is I will post guidelines for the submissions and you can start sending me links to uploaded microgames. Any suggestions are welcome.

Guidelines for submission:

• Use version 2.42a but don’t use any shaders (cause the comp. im on right now can’t handle them)
  • Players must be able to understand and complete the game in 5 seconds (the flash game is 4 but these blender games might be a bit more complicated)
  • Scene must load within one second-textures will probably be preloaded to cut out on lag
  • Controls will be arrow keys and space bar (anything else seems too hard to use in a hurry)
  • Use your own graphical style, the game should show everyones individual style and it will add to the crazyness of the game; what I will add will create all the graphical consistancy
  • Instructions should be one or two words and graphics if neccessary. Do not include the instruction word that pops up like in the flash game. I will include that myself to keep with the little bit of graphical consistancy
  • What to include your blend file submission: the game contained within one scene, a description of how to play your game and your name as you would like to be credited in the text window, and a 128x128 tga alpha image of your logo which will appear in the top right corner of your game (be sure to pack the data so I get it all)
  • If the Player wins, send the message ‘win’; if the player loses send the message ‘lose’

Wow, this is just like WarioWare. You can get ideas from that game.

Yeah… I was thinking of that as well. My main intention is for others to submit their own microgames and for it to be a community project. I would put everything together and make some of my own microgames as well. Everyone who submits would get credit of course.

Great idea.

I never played “wario ware”, and that flash game won’t play on my Linux system (damn flash7), but I think I have a pretty good idea of what your talking about. It’s just basically mini games, right?

Anyway, this is something that I wouldn’t mind contributing to.

Is there any specific lenght restriction for each specific game? (as in how long a game can be) What are the complexity restrictions?

PS: Is there any kind of graphical style that you would want us to adhere to? I’m asking because of the nature of this project, if several individuals contribute, their graphical styles are bound to be different, which won’t do any good for the consistency of the whole game.

Or maybe consistency isn’t the main priority here?

haha that’s fun… sofar i got to 183 total seconds i’m gonna keep playing! i knocked out all the boeese teeth and was shooting his eyes and i lost

EDIT: now i got to 318 seconds i did the 50 frenzy thing and got all the way to the end and was on the second tooth in the bottom row and i messed up…

EDIT2: hah the new number is the same numbers as the old one

219! Man what a crazy game…

Yeah. I’m in. What are the requirements? I’d like for you to set some sort of basic guidelines. (like this one was four seconds per game, arrows and space bar only, vague instructions).

Yes, the art of such games it to make the user understand in less then 1 sec what he should do and play it. In this flash game there were a few games which were really vague what you had to do, just because certain objects fell away in the background and the intructions were way to short and abstract. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s indeed a cool thing to try out in blender. The biggest problem that will come up it the time you have to play the game, and game engine peformance. If someone lags out for 2 seconds, it means he got 2 left to play the game if a 4 sec frenzy. :slight_smile:
I would say, go ahead and try it out. :wink:

I’m glad there is interest in this project. Here are some guidelines for submissions:

• Use version 2.42a but don’t use any shaders (cause the comp. im on right now can’t handle them)
  • Players must be able to understand and complete the game in 5 seconds (the flash game is 4 but these blender games might be a bit more complicated)
  • Scene must load within one second-textures will probably be preloaded to cut out on lag
  • Controls will be arrow keys and space bar (anything else seems too hard to use in a hurry)
  • Use your own graphical style, the game should show everyones individual style and it will add to the crazyness of the game; what I will add will create all the graphical consistancy
  • Instructions should be one or two words and graphics if neccessary. Do not include the instruction word that pops up like in the flash game. I will include that myself to keep with the little bit of graphical consistancy
  • What to include your blend file submission: the game contained within one scene, a description of how to play your game and your name as you would like to be credited in the text window, and a 128x128 tga alpha image of your logo which will appear in the top right corner of your game (be sure to pack the data so I get it all)I think that covers everything, if theres anything I missed just ask in this thread. To submit for now just upload at one of the many free uploading sites and PM me with the link or email it to me as an attachment at brian%2290%@%sbcglobal.net (without the %'s)

I love the idea of this! I have one question about making these games (sorry if this is hijacking).

In the flash game (which is awesome), things were randomly generated or placed. I know this is possible in Blender but I’m not sure how. How would you do this in Blender, preferably with logic bricks, if not a script?

Thanks,
Wanted Bob

Aight cool idea bud, already wiped up a littel “Mind Boggeling” game i’ll show a few pics in a bit, but im need a little help:

How could i have a counter counting down from 5 to 0?

Can you submit more than one mini-game?

Not sure, but I know there is a script somewhere on these forums for that. Actually it depends exactly how you want to randomly place these objects.

Actually I’ll handle that myself. Just send me the game and I’ll add the clock. That way there is consistancy in the timing.

Yes of course. You can submit however many mini-games you want. The more you can submit the better the game will be.

Thanks all for your interest. I look forward to your submissions.

Aight i’ll send it to you, but how can i make that timer i just wana know so i have more blender knowledge in my blender library :smiley:

One more guideline, when the player wins, have something send the message ‘win’; if the player loses, send the message ‘lose’

Braveheart, you would use this code where time is a timer property and CountDown is your count down property:

import GameLogic as GL
cont = GL.getCurrentController()
own = cont.getOwner()
time = own.time
own.CountDown = 5-time

i gots a question about that script above me. i want to use that. but where do i put it? lol

Put the script itself in the Text window and on an object with a timer property ‘time’ and a float property ‘CountDown’ attach an Always sensor (pulse on) to a python controller which runs the script.

Just to keep you updated, my first contribution will be my next scheduled project once I finish what I’m working on right now (which will take about a half hour). I will PM you a link so that my levels can remain a secret until the game is released. I think it will be more fun if we don’t have an opportunity to play other people’s levels before the game is released. :wink:

Thanks for the update, and you’re thinking right along with me at keeping your level secret from everyone else to keep the fun.

Aight magicman i have PMed you my game entry :smiley:

PMed you back, there appears to be a problem with your host. Please try to find another place to host it or email it to me.