Please help me to understand somethings about Blender/Python

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I want to learn Python I believe it is a easy and great Language. I have not started that or blender because of my budget. But I really want to even though I am a complete novice to programming.

And Blender uses python right basically for making games only right.
I dislike C/C++ it looks really confusing.

If I master python, I should master Blender right. What should I learn first Blender or Python. Should I learn all of Python. Can I make a multiplayer game off of blender if I am good at Python or blender does not support that sort of gaming aspect.

I see I am very very enthusiast about learning both but need guidance.

P.S. I heard these books are great for me:

1.Core Python Programming (Prentice Hall Ptr Core Series)
2.Practical Python

Is this a true statement or waste of money?

Thank you for your time. :wink:

Signed,
Matrixzero.

Dear Sir,
This is in reply to your post dated Fri, Feb 21 2003.
I will attempt to answer your questions as you posed them:

I have not started that or blender because of my budget.

It is with pleasure that I am able to inform you that both Blender and Python are available as free dowloads and the only cost to you will be those incurred through your ISP and your local electricity supply co. I am sure that you will find this to your satisfaction!

And Blender uses python right basically for making games only right.
I dislike C/C++ it looks really confusing.

I regret to inform you that your assumtion in this regard is incorrect. Blender does use python, but not only for the game engine. It can, however use scripts written in Python to perform certain enhancements of game functions, but I am duty bound to bring to your attention that games can be constructed in Blender without the need for programming. I am sure that this information will also satisfy you.

If I master python, I should master Blender right. What should I learn first Blender or Python. Should I learn all of Python. Can I make a multiplayer game off of blender if I am good at Python or blender does not support that sort of gaming aspect.

Forgive me for this little observation, Sir, if you will, but the above is neither question nor statement and as such appears as if you face great consternation in your quandary. However, if I may take the liberty to suggest it this way, that the game or games that you wish to construct will inevitably be done in Blender, and that you will do well to start there, lest you spend an inordinate amount of time and effort on Python only to find that that which you aspired to achieve was possible using only Blender

P.S. I heard these books are great for me:

1.Core Python Programming (Prentice Hall Ptr Core Series)
2.Practical Python

Is this a true statement or waste of money?

With respect, Sir, books are good for many things. I sometimes need to resort to using books to assail my wife in times of undue tribulation. In this instance it is only the weight of the book that is of any consequence. At other times I use books to impress new aquaintances that I have no intention of including in my circle of friends. Here it is only the obscurity of the titles and subject matter that need be taken into account. Having said that I am sure that good use could be found for just about any book.

I hope that I have been of some help to you, and may I take this opportunity of welcmming you to the Elysiun community on behalf of us all I am sure. On that note I hope that you would find it in your heart to forgive me if I made just one little suggestion. Lighten up! You see, there are only five members of this community that deserve the title Sir or Madam. By using those terms you run the considerable risk of excluding the rest of us. Feel free to use any available time you may find for yourself to browse through the different boards on the forum and should you happen upon a subject that needs further investigation, do feel free to post on that thread, contact the relevant party by private message, or visit the websites listed in some of the signatures.

Best of wishes with your endeavours and I hope all is well in sunny Barbados,
Yours sincerely,
Fligh.

Do I detect a touch of sarcasm in the above post? :wink:

Welcome to the forums too, Matrixzero.

As for your questions, it depends what you want to do - if making 3D graphics/games is most important to you, then learn Blender first. If programming is most importatnt to you, then learn Python first.

Well actually theres alot more to making a game then programing, as I’m sure your aware.

From what I’ve used of Blenders game engine its very easy to use and learn, and if your having trouble learning it, there are some tutorials around to point you in the right direction.

Although, before you can even go to the game engine you must first have some things worked out, which are: storyline, and physical things in the game like characters and scenery.

Then after you’ve come up with character and scenery concepts you’ll have to model them, which isn’t something you become good at over night (or at least it didn’t for me) which should take you some time.

And finally, you have to think of how the gameplay will be, then off to the game engine.

As for making the game, generally you won’t need to touch Python, unless you want to do something very specific, but for your normal first person shooter or space sim you’ll be just fine.

-Hope that helps, ATMantis

I just found this tutorial, actually its just an introduction at the moment, but there will be more, and its just the thing I think you’d want to see, try http://mysite.iptic.com/brainstormstudios/PDFs/TUT0102.pdf

-Again, hope it helps, ATMantis

I get a badd address or filename effor when I try that link are you sure its still good?

All the ‘IPTIC’ sites no longer exist. See Chat Forum. The site belonged to Blender-Owl, contact him.

%<

Actually its not entirly my site. But if anywants the tut email me @ [email protected] or [email protected]
Now since i know someone is reading my tuts ill put more effort in making the next one