Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Character

Dwarf Character

This is my first face made with Blender (Previously I have made generic face from the Character animation in Blender tutorial)… that doesn't mean that I don't have any modeling experience, just not in Blender ;-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enface.jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	17699

Name:	tricetvrt.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	17700

Name:	render.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	17701

This is supposed to be Dwarf character (for my short animation)… In the end He’ll probably have some mustache (I have yet to decide if they will be modeled or particle)

Waiting for some comments…

Riste

Really nice start, I have just a few crits.

Edge loops: I've included a pic highlighting a few problem areas. Red circles are poles, allowing one for the cheek because everyone has one here. Green is where I think you could re-run some of the lines, and blue the edges I think could be removed if you do this.

The line on the top of the lips is to remove the bulge above them.

The face is quite squared, notably around the nostrils and mouth, though this may be intentional.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enface.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	17709  

Squared face: intentional, yes ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to implement them, although I have yet to find my way through all the modeling tricks... I'll post an update soon!

No worries, I'm not sure if the loops I've shown are any good, I think they'll be ok. You need to look at the poles though.

Vert pushing is the way forwards here ctrl-left click to add a vertex, select 2-4 and hit "f" to fill a face.

Anyway, it's a good piece, have fun.

Ian

This is too slow for FC. I'll move it back when there's significant progress.

%<
    BLENDER - You'll get it when you get it.

I was totally unaware that “focused critique” threads are time limited. Sorry if I caused trouble.

Thanks to all the comments (and advice - I have used IanC's suggestions and I am happy with the results)

In the meanwhile I have made some progress… Now I believe that I have head shape finished and I have good start on the neck… I am just a little bit scared of modeling the ear, however I don’t plan to make it too fancy or very accurate… this is fairy land creature with pointy (hello Mr. Spock) kind of ears…

Name:	enface13.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	17882

Name:	profile13.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	17883
    The last render is done using “illuminating with normal nodes technique” which was presented by Daniel Martinez Lara… what a timesaver! Thanks again Daniel!

Name:	trequarter lara13.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	17884
    Waiting for suggestions, and perhaps some advice on skin shaders (I don’t know almost anything about Blender materials) – I plan to use diffuse map, bump map and perhaps a displacement map… will that be enough?

I also do worry a bit about hair and mustaches… I’ll experiment some with static particles and see the outcome…however – is it better to use duplicate scalp (and mustache root [not sure if this is the right expression]) mesh, or should I try with weight painting of the hair? Could it interfere with weight painting of the bone influences later on? Questions, questions…
    Last edited by ristesekuloski; 23-Mar-07 at 20:08.

Nice face, i wish i could do that. The head doesn't seem right, i think the forehead is abit short - the eys should be in the middle of the face. I don't know whether this was intentional or not.

UPDATE:
    bjzaba, thanks for the comment! forehead IS short (look at my avatar) - it is intentional ;-), just as it was when I draw him!

I have pretty much finished face mesh and ears (I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised how they turned out)

I wasn't going for anatomically accurate ears, but rather that “ear feeling”

Name:	enface27.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	17922

Name:	profile 27.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	17923

Name:	threequarter 27.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	17924
    After some experimentation (and desperation) with particle mustaches I have decided to go with the mesh ones (at least it is somewhat known enemy for me)

I have made some progress with the hair (he will not have Mohawk haircut... it is just not finished yet)

Name:	enface 27 h&m.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	17925

Name:	profile 27 h&m.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	17926
    As for the skin shader... I'll probably try to use Proog's (Elephant dream, anyone? ;-)) and see how that turns out.

Name:	camera 270001.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	17927
    Last but not least... test render with normal map based illumination (I wasn't trying hard enough here, I admit)

Critiques, comments and suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by ristesekuloski; 24-Mar-07 at 18:58.

In your very first post in the thread, I think the face has a lot of personality. The last one here is good in a different way, but I feel it's lost something.

UPDATE: hair finished, still no skin shader, I'll model the body next...

bookeater: thanks for the comment... the face is somewhat different, but not that much... i have made it little bit older... I'll see how it fits with the body and I'll act accordingly...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera 37 0001.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	17971  

And now... for the body!

Name:	enface 38.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	18011

Name:	profile 38.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	18012

Name:	perspective 38.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	18013

No comments... it is that good that everyone is speechless :-(

Body mesh (rather clothes) finished.

Hands finished.

Two renders of the complete character rendered with AO.

Name:	camera 520001.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	18054

Name:	camera a520001.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	18055
    Hands meshes in wireframe (I know that there are some purists that will go crazy about the way I have made them, so I am open to suggestions) – anyway this is my fourth hand mesh (previous three were made in another app)

Name:	hand.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	18056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand2.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	18057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand3.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	18058
    Now I really need some advice (help, in fact)… I need good skin shader for the character and also good leather shader for the clothes. I would really appreciate any help regarding this …

Hey, isn't that the dude in your avatar? Nice modeling! Can't wait to see more of this!

Hi, very good work.
    Are you going to give him eyebrows? They seem to be missing.
    The only other suggestion I could make would be the forehead seems a little too smooth. Then that could be the lack of eyebrows.
    Some tweaking with Sculpt mode could help the forehead also.
    Thanks, the whole thread is very informative.
    M.A.

wow, what technique did you use to create that? Did you follow a tutorial?

Small update:

Render with different materials (I have to admit: different colors) of parts of the mesh…

Name:	camera 58.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	18114
    I have managed to UV unwrap the mesh, so this is not wireframe over rendered mesh but UV map of the character… I had some trouble with the procedure, hence the artifacts (most notable on the chest area). I’ll probably have to play more with the UV editor to achieve the desired results.

Name:	camera a520002.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	18115
    I have just noticed: I have completely forgotten the eyebrows! (nice catch Meta-Androcto, I noticed that just before posting this... also: I plan to make some bump - map for the forehead [I reckon: no need to model everything])

… Perhaps those dwarf fairy creatures don’t have eyebrows? … Nah, I’ll have to model them…

Bumpy Monkey - yes, that is my avatar - I got inspired to model this character after drawing him (more to see on my blog: www.ristesekuloski.blogspot.com

davidaw: no tutorial used, I have previously finished "Intro to Character animation" tutorial from the blender wiki. NOTE: I have years of previous (non professional) experience in another 3D app (A:M) which requires very disciplined approach to modeling or you get UGLY artifacts...

No suggestions on the materials or shaders... However this may seem frightening I'll probably have to do it myself (HELP... anyone...)

Stay well, more soon ;-)

UPDATE:

Although it doesn't show, I have been busy last few days.

Name:	camera v66.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	18280
    I have added the eyebrows, belt – thingy (what is the name of that? English is not my native language).

Name:	camera v68.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	18281
    Most of the work doesn't show yet: I have made UV map for the whole character, but it turned out too cluttered for my taste and so I divided the mesh again (face, mustaches and hair, body... ) and UV unwrapped it again. Most of the body and hands are UV unwrapped in mirror mode but I have decided to apply mirror modifier for the face (UV map makes more sense that way)

It just occurred to me that I have yet to make the teeth and inside of the mouth... just when I thought that I was finished modeling...

Any thoughts? (I still hope for some advice and perhaps link to shader library that I could use...)

Once again, critiques, comments and suggestions are welcome!

I have added the eyebrows, belt – thingy (what is the name of that? English is not my native language).
    It's a belt buckle. Cool model.

NEED SOME HELP!

As you may already know (from reading my previous posts) for the last few days I was UV unwrapping my character.

I have decided to be fancy and to bake color and ambient occlusion pass into the texture so that I would have starting point and some reference in further painting of the textures. Of course, I didn't know how it is supposed to be done, so I visited Blender.org, looked for that feature and downloaded test file. AAAAND! Although I think that my texture is properly done (I checked Cornelius file), I always get the message that there is no image to bake to! It is frustrating!

EDIT: following no longer applies as I have managed to do the baking!!! I just had to try it in several ways that I haven't tried and it worked in the end...

Although I am perfectly aware that some frustration is normal part of the learning, I have tried everything (that I could think of) and I can get no results. So, can (please) someone give me fool proof step by step instruction how it is done or point me to one?

Most obliged, Riste.
    Last edited by ristesekuloski; 03-Apr-07 at 07:39.

UPDATE: Remember this guy?

I have finally managed to make some baking of the renders into texture. I am sooo happy! This is baked normal map (no actual need to show it, I just need to brag to someone what I did ;o))

Name:	dwarf face normals.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	18369
    I plan to incorporate Ambiance occlusion pass into my color (diffuse?) texture, so I'll be able to (hopefully) cheat some time from the final renders.

Until then... well, having no better advice about the texturing I have researched ;-) (read: shamelessly borrowed) some materials from the “Elephants dream” and I have modified leather material that I have found elsewhere on this forums. And, here he is in all his (materialized) beauty!

Name:	render with materials 01.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	18370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render with materials 02.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	18371
    I have to admit that this looks beautiful beyond my expectations!

NEXT: I'll paint some textures and rig this guy! Btw: Ensteindwarf is his name. He great inventor in the fairy world be...

ALSO: I'll try to make super chibi version of him (you know: even larger head seated on even smaller body, with tiny legs and arms)... that WILL wait...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast