Dwarf Character

This is my first face made with Blender (Previously I have made generic face from the Character animation in Blender tutorial)… that doesn’t mean that I don’t have any modeling experience, just not in Blender :wink:

This is supposed to be Dwarf character (for my short animation)… In the end He’ll probably have some mustache (I have yet to decide if they will be modeled or particle)

Waiting for some comments…

Riste

Not bad, modeling seems to b very well done, I’ll keep my eye on this thread. Good work so far.

Good start! :slight_smile:

yes looks good!

1 Like

Really nice start, I have just a few crits.

Edge loops: I’ve included a pic highlighting a few problem areas. Red circles are poles, allowing one for the cheek because everyone has one here. Green is where I think you could re-run some of the lines, and blue the edges I think could be removed if you do this.

The line on the top of the lips is to remove the bulge above them.

The face is quite squared, notably around the nostrils and mouth, though this may be intentional.

Attachments

Squared face: intentional, yes :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll try to implement them, although I have yet to find my way through all the modeling tricks… I’ll post an update soon!

No worries, I’m not sure if the loops I’ve shown are any good, I think they’ll be ok. You need to look at the poles though.

Vert pushing is the way forwards here :slight_smile: ctrl-left click to add a vertex, select 2-4 and hit “f” to fill a face.

Anyway, it’s a good piece, have fun.

Ian

This looks great, but it needs a bigger nose:D:D…and later he needs a mug of beer.^^
no this is looks promising.

This is too slow for FC. I’ll move it back when there’s significant progress.

%<

I was totally unaware that “focused critique” threads are time limited. Sorry if I caused trouble.

Thanks to all the comments (and advice - I have used IanC’s suggestions and I am happy with the results)

In the meanwhile I have made some progress… Now I believe that I have head shape finished and I have good start on the neck… I am just a little bit scared of modeling the ear, however I don’t plan to make it too fancy or very accurate… this is fairy land creature with pointy (hello Mr. Spock) kind of ears…

The last render is done using “illuminating with normal nodes technique” which was presented by Daniel Martinez Lara… what a timesaver! Thanks again Daniel!

Waiting for suggestions, and perhaps some advice on skin shaders (I don’t know almost anything about Blender materials) – I plan to use diffuse map, bump map and perhaps a displacement map… will that be enough?

I also do worry a bit about hair and mustaches… I’ll experiment some with static particles and see the outcome…however – is it better to use duplicate scalp (and mustache root [not sure if this is the right expression]) mesh, or should I try with weight painting of the hair? Could it interfere with weight painting of the bone influences later on? Questions, questions…

Nice face, i wish i could do that. The head doesn’t seem right, i think the forehead is abit short - the eys should be in the middle of the face. I don’t know whether this was intentional or not.

UPDATE:
bjzaba, thanks for the comment! forehead IS short (look at my avatar) - it is intentional ;-), just as it was when I draw him!

I have pretty much finished face mesh and ears (I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised how they turned out)

I wasn’t going for anatomically accurate ears, but rather that “ear feeling”

After some experimentation (and desperation) with particle mustaches I have decided to go with the mesh ones (at least it is somewhat known enemy for me)

I have made some progress with the hair (he will not have Mohawk haircut… it is just not finished yet)

As for the skin shader… I’ll probably try to use Proog’s (Elephant dream, anyone? ;-)) and see how that turns out.

Last but not least… test render with normal map based illumination (I wasn’t trying hard enough here, I admit)

Critiques, comments and suggestions are welcome!

In your very first post in the thread, I think the face has a lot of personality. The last one here is good in a different way, but I feel it’s lost something.

UPDATE: hair finished, still no skin shader, I’ll model the body next…

bookeater: thanks for the comment… the face is somewhat different, but not that much… i have made it little bit older… I’ll see how it fits with the body and I’ll act accordingly…

Attachments

And now… for the body!

No comments… it is that good that everyone is speechless :frowning:

Body mesh (rather clothes) finished.

Hands finished.

Two renders of the complete character rendered with AO.

Hands meshes in wireframe (I know that there are some purists that will go crazy about the way I have made them, so I am open to suggestions) – anyway this is my fourth hand mesh (previous three were made in another app)

Now I really need some advice (help, in fact)… I need good skin shader for the character and also good leather shader for the clothes. I would really appreciate any help regarding this …

Hey, isn’t that the dude in your avatar? Nice modeling! Can’t wait to see more of this!

Hi, very good work.
Are you going to give him eyebrows? They seem to be missing.
The only other suggestion I could make would be the forehead seems a little too smooth. Then that could be the lack of eyebrows.
Some tweaking with Sculpt mode could help the forehead also.
Thanks, the whole thread is very informative.
M.A.

wow, what technique did you use to create that? Did you follow a tutorial?

Small update:

Render with different materials (I have to admit: different colors) of parts of the mesh…

I have managed to UV unwrap the mesh, so this is not wireframe over rendered mesh but UV map of the character… I had some trouble with the procedure, hence the artifacts (most notable on the chest area). I’ll probably have to play more with the UV editor to achieve the desired results.

I have just noticed: I have completely forgotten the eyebrows! (nice catch Meta-Androcto, I noticed that just before posting this… also: I plan to make some bump - map for the forehead [I reckon: no need to model everything])

… Perhaps those dwarf fairy creatures don’t have eyebrows? … Nah, I’ll have to model them…

Bumpy Monkey - yes, that is my avatar - I got inspired to model this character after drawing him (more to see on my blog: www.ristesekuloski.blogspot.com

davidaw: no tutorial used, I have previously finished “Intro to Character animation” tutorial from the blender wiki. NOTE: I have years of previous (non professional) experience in another 3D app (A:M) which requires very disciplined approach to modeling or you get UGLY artifacts…

No suggestions on the materials or shaders… However this may seem frightening I’ll probably have to do it myself (HELP… anyone…)

Stay well, more soon :wink: