yable, python, and linux

ok i’ve got redhat 8.0, blender 2.25, and yable(yafray is installed), and i need to know why blender keeps getting an error in: import os, sys

is this because i don’t have the right python version? i haven’t installed anything python since i got redhat.

if i need to get python, which version, and how do install???

The sys module should not cause an error, this is always available, so it’s probably os which can’t be found. The most likely problem is the same as for windows, the PYTHONPATH variable, see the python101 thread above.

And in case you have set it in .bashrc for instance, it will only work when you start from a terminal. Otherwise use the method as posted by Schlops in the above thread.
The python version is not as much of an issue for Linux as it is for windows, so you probably can use any version (2.0+). And most likely you already have a version of python installed.

thanks, trying the pythonpath now. :smiley:

it works now, although i have yet to export anything that doesn’t cause yafray to crap it’s pants. :<

Such comments aren’t particularly helpful… If you can tell what the exact problem is, maybe something could be done about it.
You also have to remember that with the current python API that there are still lots of limitations to what you can export from Blender at the moment. I remember you used VirtuaLight before, no good any longer?
You don’t HAVE to use yafray, if you don’t like it, use something else. Besides that, like any other program, you have to learn to use it before you can get the results you want.

didn’t need help, i need a brain however, some files didn’t work, others did, but i need to change to the directory that the file is in BEFORE i try to render…otherwise you tend to get errors :wink: .

i liked vl, but making shaders was a pain, you had to handright them, and the documentaion was a little above my head, if i knew more about it it might have been easier to understand, but yafray is better, the renders are more photoreal, they have the look i rely like, and render times seem to be faster.