Naming and picking node points in a surface

Let me begin my first post to your forum by making it perfectly clear that I am a model maker and not a very savvy programmer. I did do a search on it and came up pretty empty handed.

What I have in mind is a python script that might identify and pick all of the nodes on one side of a surface (for extruding construction in modeling).

My question first is whether this would be trivial code or if it is more complex to do than should be bothered with?

Then of course how do you do it? Generally.

If it is practicable, then the next question would obviously be stepping forward and back in the node list, (This is one of the few things that I really miss from Maya, for those of you not familiar with it Maya uses the arrow keys to move along the nodes). Man is that nice for workflow!!!

What do you mean by nodes?
Do you mean the vertices of a mesh. Or the objects in the blend file?? Node seems to be a term that I have not heard before in regards to blender

Generically you might call the editable points (KNOTS, probability points) nodes in a parametric , Boolean, or NURB surface.

In a vertex surface any two adjacent points can be extruded or deleted, but the rules for surfaces are a little different. There must always be the same number of U “Knots” and V “Knots”. Picking along the edge to extrude is always a big bottleneck in extrusion modeling in Blender.

Whaddya think?

I went back to the edit buttons of Blender and saw that they are called knots there, in a parametric (NURB) surface.