Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Poles and Loops

Originally Posted by benmcl View Post
    Thank you for keeping this up. Is this one of the images missing? It appears this is the only one that seems to be on the list:

Also I have 2 sets of PDFs for what appears 2 threads.
    First is called: The Pole - Subdivision Modeling started by SomeArtist - 15 pages in length, 146 posts and ending 07-10-2008
    The other called: The Pole - revised - Subdivision Modeling started by mister3d - 2 pages in length, 14 posts and ending 07-24-2008
    Post the links to the pdfs you've created.

Just want to say thanks Toontje!!

First 2014 post in this "since 2007" thread..

I'll be the second to make a 2014 post.
    Yeah thanks Toontjel, for using photobucket and imageshack. Now all of the images that demonstrate what you wanted to show are gone.
    I PM'd you to try to get the original images, but no reply so far...
    Frustrated, but still hopeful.

Update (Nov3): I heard back from Toontjel :-)
    At the time he posted this thread image attachments were not permitted.
    And it sounds like he may be re-posting some of the material if time permits.
    As can be seen in the subsequent posts I was able to recover much of this info from other sources as well.
    Last edited by Quantum Anomaly; 03-Nov-14 at 00:15.
    Pinch yourself. Nope, you're not dreaming. You have a full featured 3D suite at your fingertips. Now go create something!
    "Oh, you are so much more than just a sheep, aren't you? Look at you, you're an adventurer, Franck!"

I found what I was looking for! Posting here for everyone else.
    There is some overlap, but I will simply post links in the order I found them, starting with:
    http://pp.kpnet.fi/3DMe/maxstuff/SUBD_fixed.pdf
    The Pole - Subdivision Modeling
    The subdivisionmodeling thread was revived on BA in '06! ;-)
    Now conveniently in one PDF.

Secondly, a Dropbox user was awesome enough to host this:
    dl.dropbox.com/u/585495/vbobs_subdivisionmodeling_archives.zip
    (Grab it while it's up, contains page-by-page PDFs and individual images from 7 threads - 76MB)

And on this page I found the following chart, which I will rescue from photobucket by posting here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polygon-table.png 
Views:	687 
Size:	443.0 KB 
ID:	340423

Finally, thanks to the Wayback Machine it seems most of the original threads can still be viewed!
    http://web.archive.org/web/201012311...splay.php?f=25
    Let's have a closer look and see what other gems we can dig out of this.
    Last edited by Quantum Anomaly; 23-Oct-14 at 11:31. Reason: Found more stuff
    Pinch yourself. Nope, you're not dreaming. You have a full featured 3D suite at your fingertips. Now go create something!
    "Oh, you are so much more than just a sheep, aren't you? Look at you, you're an adventurer, Franck!"

Apologies for redundancy, but I just found a higher quality version of the chart I previously posted, in addition to a second chart.
    (Since attached images can't be removed from vBulletin I have to post in a new entry.)

Name:	Polygon-Table_v04.png 
Views:	568 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	340430

Name:	MovingPolesv01_web.png 
Views:	703 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	340431
    source
    Last edited by Quantum Anomaly; 23-Oct-14 at 11:42.

I think I just found my new research project. I need a break from pushing verts for a couple weeks.
    I have been working on converting youtube tutorials (fledgling project) and compiling a reference manual geared to my own use. And I do link back to my source material. But would there be any opposition from anyone if I put this into a format geared to a 5th grade reader?
    I'm doing it for my own use mostly, I like my quick check written resources, But as far as I have found so far in the written world for blender it is ether buy a book and hope for the best, Or scrape though a tonne of coal and seek out the diamonds in the rough.
    Last edited by joseph raccoon; 28-Oct-14 at 13:31.

Originally Posted by joseph raccoon View Post
    I think I just found my new research project. I need a break from pushing verts for a couple weeks.
    I have been working on converting youtube tutorials (fledgling project) and compiling a reference manual geared to my own use. And I do link back to my source material. But would there be any opposition from anyone if I put this into a format geared to a 5th grade reader?
    I'm doing it for my own use mostly, I like my quick check written resources, But as far as I have found so far in the written world for blender it is ether buy a book and hope for the best, Or scrape though a tonne of coal and seek out the diamonds in the rough.
    I don't think anyone would mind. As for the original authors, you probably wouldn't be able to reach many of them now. But you could still publish the info with your own examples/illustrations. It is really in need of updates and polish anyway.
    I got a reply from the OP (Toontjel) and he expressed interest in re-releasing this information in a more up-to-date form (taking into account we can use n-gons now, etc). Maybe the two of you could join forces. What did you have in mind, like a textbook? Video tutorials? Some mixed media combination thereof?

Looks like people are still coming here for info so I thought I would pop a few inks in that are a couple of pages back.
    One is for a pdf of the beginning of the thread, the others some videos (I've not tried them).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5djua9he786yp9y/Poles and Loops.pdf
    originally posted by Blend3D

http://ebookee.org/search.php?q=grant+warwick&sa=Search
    and here
    http://vimeo.com/10941211
    originally posted by neogen22

Thank you very much harkin!

Hello. I was modeling turret for armored car, and that what happened ( see picture). I think it is because dot from middle of face is gone somwhere. Thank you!

Name:	fail.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	388985

Hi,

I posted a few more videos on my modeling and articulation techniques from my iBook "The Art of Moving Points" to my Vimeo account.

https://vimeo.com/144021801

Here is the basic understanding of how curves add up to create an overall curve for articulation. This is the same technique that I used for creating Avars at Pixar.

https://vimeo.com/144022577

Cheers

HD

This is useless without the screens working anymore. I vote to unsticky.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011