Shoulder joints rigging and animating problem

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to rig a character in such a way that the shoulders deform in a normal way in all normal poses?

I have created a Character model that has a short sleeve shirt for an upper body with arms. I have applied a armature skeleton and added vertex groups and weights but I can not get the shirt mesh to deform in a normal way at the shoulders. In front view with the character facing the view I can move the arms up and down like he is doing jumping jacks and the shoulders look okay. When I extend the arms out in front of my character and move them upward the shoulders do not deform in a normal way, there are all kinds of creases and ugly folds in the mesh at the shoulders.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.
Are there any good complete body rigging tutorials out there?
Does anyone have a Blend file that has a good working shoulder rig that they can send to me for a reference?

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Hi!

I’m having the same problems as you. I have this low poly character on which I test rigging methods and the shoulder keeps being an issue.

If you find something, let us know.

I’ll continue to do tests.

Dani

I have found out through experimenting that the shoulder joints look and deform a lot better when you model the limbs (arms) in such a way that the joint part of the limb (elbows and shoulders) is as close to a perfect circle as possible.

If anyone knows of a more flexible and convienient way of doing this please post it.

yea, circle deformation is easier to calculate, creates less artifacts.

Depending on which range of motion you want your charater to have, try using examples from the way a raglan sleeve is constructed (a baseball tee). Also, remember…You can construct many models of the same character…all with different skeletons and ranges of motion.