Help! How fast actually is the game engine in reality?

Well in “Layman`s Term” can anyone get me an estimate.

Like in a certain scene with a certain amount of polygons displayed at what frame rate.

Or any else because I want to know if I should really invest my time with Blender3d for my 3d game projects.

P.S. Is there any plug-in or plug-ins that Speeds up the game engine or any aspects of it. And can you give my a frame rate benchmark for the game engine when any or a combination of plug-ins are added.

Thank you for your time.

Signed,
Matrixzero.

… umm, maybe this is on the wrong forum …

BUT

the game engine can vay very much in speed. On the same file I may get from 15 - 60 fps at the same resolution and color depth, and the variety is even larger if the color depth and resolution or other variables are changed.

somehow I get from 10-220 fps. Windows seems slower right now (~60 tops), but that could be my configuration. Linux (SuSE 8.1 professional w/Nvidia drivers) tops at 220fps.

Running entirely in software (static linked blender in linux, or on some other systems without 3d video cards) is MUCH slower.

also, the window size has a large effect on framerate, especially when not using hardware acceleration.

at this moment I am getting about 10fps on a scene with 10240 textured, and vertex colored (not light sensitive) triangles, in windows 98se with a geForce 2 MX 400 running at 1280 by 1024 at 32 bit color, on a system with a amd atholon 2000+ and 256 Mb sd ram, which slows the chip down to 1250Mhz.

Too many variables for something that doesn’t really matter.

If something you made in blender is running too slow, then maybe it was made inefficent. Lower you polys.

Oh, I don’t think blender’s major strength is it’s speed, but it’s cross-platform nature

I get 20 to 30, in a relativly normal enviornment. Stones on my site.

The blender game engine is slower than some professional enignes like the unreal or quake or elite force engines. But the actual speed it runs at depends much more on how good your graphics card is and how fast the computer is. For example, blender games will run a lot faster on a fast computer with a fast graphics card than unreal tornament would on a slower computer or a same speed computer with a slower graphics card.

Keith. 8)