Fluid won't bake!! *mad*

I have this fluid sim. If I set the resolution to 230 or above, Blender crashes immediately upon hitting the bake button. If I set the resolution to 225 or 220, it bakes part way and then Blender crashes with a Visual C++ Runtime Library error saying ‘abnormal program termination’. What’s going on? I have plenty of RAM, so it has nothing to do with swapping. dam.blend

System specs are 3.2 Ghz HT P4 and 2 GB DDR2 533 Mhz RAM if it helps. OS is Windows XP Pro.

When you enter a Resoultion, Blender tells you right above it how much required BAKE memory is needed. at 220 it says you need a gig of free memory. My Vista meter says I only have 1 Gig free available out of 2Gig. So, you’re out of memory, son. Time to upgrade to 64 bit.

but i must say that I’m proud of you :slight_smile: for trying instead of saying “it can’t” which is juvey speak for “i won’t” :frowning:

Windows task manager says I’m using roughly 1.5 of my 2 Gigs. I’m sorry, but WTF? I have RAM to spare. Or is this that 1.5 Gig per app limit I’m hitting?

[Edit] I can’t afford 64 bit Windows, I’ve given up trying to get Ubuntu to work with my video card, and my CPU isn’t 64 bit friendly…:frowning:

Angering, isn’t it, that your OS would hog so much RAM when, really, not doing anything? The RAM is not allocated until you click BAKE, you know, so if pre-bake you have .5G available, crash boom bang when you click.

No, the .5 available is during baking. Even with FF running.

[Edit] w00t! Looks like my CPU supports 64 bits after all! Looks like I’ll be fighting with Linux again… sigh Hopefully Feisty Fawn will work better than Edgy Eft did.

not for long. looks like 230 needs 1.15g, and 220 needs 1.01, or about 15M per resolution (these numbers are an Estimate). Stanford probably can afford a 64-bit PC.

EDIT: after an hour, I am up to frame 50 of your bake at 230. no crash yet :slight_smile:

EDIT: just died on frame 50. but boy was it looking good!!! soooooo detailed, almost unreal. or, er, real.

Mine died last night on frame 24…:frowning: At least I have incentive to fight with Linux again!:smiley: Did you get the same runtime library error?

[Edit] 1 hour and up to frame 50 already!! What kind of a machine do you have?!

[Edit 2] Here’s an OpenGL animation of the 24 frames I do have…120 kb

i have an HP 7750n - AMD 64X2 5000 2.6GHz 2G 666MHz RAM Vista nVidia 7300.

oh wait. looks like Frame 11…created 50 files though…i thought each file was the mesh data for each frame.

btw…you have to enable softbody for the fluid, AND deflection so that it both deflects softbodies and is itself deflected by softbodies.

11 frames sound more like it… You had me thinking you had a quantum computer or something!:smiley: This isn’t a softbody test, but I will most definitely try one.

You might wanna think twice about Feisty 64. Everyone I know whose tried it didn’t keep it long. I don’t like Edgy 64 either (I’m stuck with it though) cuz it’s a crash master but Blender runs great on it plus it’s about 25% faster on the render times than 32 bit.

What’s so bad about it? And if it is so bad, could you recommend a user-friendly 64 bit Linux distro?

All I know is that there’s trouble around every corner with Feisty 64. I anit havin no pick-a-nick with Edgy either. My bios won’t support 32 bit Linux though. I don’t know what to tell you though other than all of my buddies have gone back to 32 bit Linux cuz 64 bit is way too buggy. 64 bit Blender is FAST and this is where I do all of my Blending. It doesn’t have the propensity to crash like it does on Windoze either. I use Windoze partition for Adobe Apps and Linux partition for web and Blender. It provides me with a fairly descent balance but I don’t like either OS worth a damn. 32 bit Linux is very reliable and Beryl isn’t a bitch to get up and running the way it is on 64 bit either. Plus Ubuntu Studio isn’t available in 64 bit.

My buddy installs Linux servers for telecommunications networks and he doesn’t use 64 bit either. He even has 2 racks of servers in his basement handling telecommunications traffic from the Dominican Republic. That guy has a serious grip on most aspects of Linux and won’t use 64 bit. Just ask around. I don’t think everyone feels this way but everyone I know does, including me.

Why not use the SSE2 build from Eugene with Large Address Aware, It enables you to use more then 2GbRAM and runs/renders way faster. So no need for 64 bit then I think.

cheers

The sim isn’t using more than 2 Gigs of RAM…

None of what you just said tells me WHY your friends don’t use 64 bit Linux. What’s the problem, perhaps whatever it is might not be an issue with me.

On another note, I tried that softbody fluid interaction thing. I haven’t a clue as to many of the softbody controls, but after tinkering with it I wasn’t even able to get the fluid to deflect the softbody, much less have the softbody effect the fluid. softbody_fluid.blend

well, to start with you really need to look at my file. http://uploader.polorix.net//files/152/fluidsoftbodycollision.blend which mimics the good doctor’s rig. Change the output dir to C: if you dont have a D: drive.

The softbody has be to set as an Obstacle to deflect the fluid domain. I dont think a softbody in the middle of a box of fluid is gonna do much, so use an Inflow to spit out the fluid…gently…

Crashes, freezes, unavailable software that they’re accustomed to using, it’s a bit like using Blender SVN which is fun to play with but don’t use it for seerious works unless you’re prepared to accept the consequences. 64 bit is still very much experimental at this point, even for the big boys like Microsoft. You show me one happy Vista customer and I’ll show you someone who’s either being remunerated by Microsoft or doesn’t have any real computer experience.

Here’s an example: You can’t install Wine under Ubuntu64. That’s a windoze emulator for those of you out of the know. This means that you can’t run any windoze programs under Ubuntu 64 like you can under 32 bit. Need to use CinePaint? Too bad, so sad, solly cholly, not available in 64 bit. This list is very, VERY long! Up until a month ago you had to roll your own CVS version in order to get Blender to run under 64 bit Linux.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Blender64 though.

does anyone know if there is any relation to Resolution and Scale? In my blend file, my domain is 10 BU cube and resolution is 200, and the mesh is blocky. If I scale that down to 1 BU, but keep the resolution the same, will the water look…finer? the wiki says the resolution is the longest side of the domain. So that means my resolution is 20 X per BU, but what is X? Vertices?

Also, while baking, my header changes to say baking fluids x/60. X is some sort of progress, but how is Y computed? when I change end time to 1, it says 60. what is that?

<<looking for ideas to update wiki. havent touched it since August>>

Perhaps I need to write a fluid sim tutorial… The resolution controls how dense your fluid mesh is, and thus how detailed your fluid is. Real world size determines how long the longest edge of your domain is in meters. The actual scale of your domain in BU has no effect on this. For the same resolution, a fluid mesh in a larger real world domain will be denser than in a smaller one.

The x/60 is the baking progress. Basically it’s saying X frames out of 60 have baked. Start and end times have nothing to do with how many frames are baked. If you set start to 0, and end to 1, you will simulate 1 second of fluid motion. If you have Blender set to make 250 frames at 25 fps, the fluid will be in slow motion, and the 1 second fluid sim will play over the course of ten seconds. If you change the end time to 10 to match the 250 frames at 25 fps, the simulation will be real-time since you set 10 seconds of fluid motion to simulate.

ty. wiki updated. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Fluid_Simulation

sorry, but i still dont understand resolution. Suppose I have two domains (in different blend files). One is 10x10x10 and another is 1x1x1. If both have a resolution of 200, are both going to take the same amount of time to compute, and are both going to look the same?

ps-dont bake the softbody

Some examples would be gladly appreciated!!!