[05 august]Sculpt mode win(08/05)/mac(07/29)/linux(08/05)

EDITED, I was wrong, theres no bug, why can’t I delete my own comments :-s

I got a bug report, evrytime I add a lattice and try to increase resolution on it blender crash, see ya

Multires isn’t on the modifier stack, so the modifier SoC project doesn’t have a direct impact on multires. However, especially for rendering, some changes will likely need to be made when the Big Merge of the three SoC Blender branches happens.

nikko - Thanks for the bug report; I’ve fixed the problem. (It’s in CVS now, so I’m sure builds will be available soon.)

Update in first post :
Added support for textures/UV coordinates in multires
Added support for setting faces to smooth in multires

Hi nicholasbishop,thank you very much for your work,really good.
For uvs,I think you should try to use the code made by Brecht,because in your current implementation the uv are subdivided linear,(at least it seems so)and I think it’s not a nice thing.
The workflow for multires seems nice but without good mapping for textures it’s not so useful.
This is my first try with BlenderSculpt(WIP,the are many things to fix):
http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kull5dz.jpg
bye

Amazing work Renderdemon:eek:.
Wish I had a fast computer to sculpt high res models.
What is the spec of your machine, and how many polys can you acheive before it curns to a halt?

There is one little niggle with the order that the sculpt panels appear.
When you enable sculpt, the two sculpt panels appear but separated by the other mesh panels. Is this something that we can set with Ctrl+U?

Hi CG_Tiger,my machine is a Pentium 4 at 3ghz.
The model isn’t very big,is a quad mesh(9979 faces)diveded 2 more time(159664 quad faces).At this level of subdivision Blender works nice,but when I try to divide it another time to make veins and other small details(600000,plus or less)Blender become too slow for working.

Macosx build again updated :slight_smile:
What about add support for hide mesh (from edit mode)

I think ZBrush style mesh hidding will be much better. You don’t have to enter edit mode - just select rectangular part of mesh and hide everything what is outside rectangle. This should allow to sculp much more dense meshes.

http://rptd.dnsalias.net/epsylon/denormgen.php

Found a useful tool to generate normal and displacement maps.

Update on first post :
Fixed some huge memory leaks in multires related to rendering and uv/vertex colors

There is already a trick for that (working bf-blender <= 2.41).
press:
Alt+B, draw your “work area” and voilà.
Alt+B again to reveal your mesh.

Hey dear nicholasbishop, is there a wiki or a blog where you explain how you’ll implement SharpConstruct into Blender? The to-do list etc etc.

Will you implement a kind of “Zsphere” object/concept?
It’s very useful in natural modeling approach (to block shape etc etc).
I think you could use the metaball object as bases, afterall converting metaball to mesh is almost excellent. (about topology i mean)

cheers

Alt+B is working but speed remain the same :frowning:

I too notice that Alt-B doesn’t improve speed on my machine.

Any other ideas to improve performance on high res meshes?:confused:

can you please add a MOVE tool?

thanks

sorry my english

For moving you can go in edit mode and use proportional editing.
It’s works very well,at least for medium density mesh.

render demon,

how much did you create in the sculpt mode and how much did you model before?

claas

I tried the scupt mode on a suzanne mesh and things where fine, I attempted to apply multi-res and as soon as I added a level I got instant pinoccio nose on suzanne that seems to extent to infinity. I tried this a couple of times to make sure that it was not an artifact of an old blend file but this does not appear to be the case. Its nose just protrudes into the distance. The effect is there even on a render. This was tested on Windows build, Will try on Linux, Anyone else seeing this?

Luis

You’re right:

And if you delete the pinocchio nose and keep adding multires levels:

Hi cekuhnen,let’s say 60 for modelling without sculpting and 40 for sculpt.
First I made the topology,very clean(the best I can,no triangle,only quad,edgle flow for muscles an so on).After I have worked with proportions at level one,moving points by hand and with the proportional editing.The sculpting give me the possibility to shape muscles and skin in the right way,it’s very easy,the only thing that misses(apart more polys)is the support of a tablet(I have a Wacom and I would like to use it for better control).
The interesting thing is that I can easlily trasform this character in another one,only changing global proportions in level one(more fat,less muscolar,maybe trasforming in a female?)