1 Head and 1 face

Hello,

I’m very interested in making human heads and the body, so I just started with blender and now I have finished my second try at an head.

My first model I did in blender(the Face): I did a lot of trial and error because I wasn’t familiar with the tools. So after a long long time i just finished it. After i finished the face i could’t go further because my head would look like a klingon in startrek.

My second model is the Head and this 1 went a lot faster because i knew how to do some areas and from then on it went pretty fast. The ear was a disaster. First i modelled the head and then the ear on 2 different layers. I didn’t know how to attach them so i asked on this forum and got a response very quick. I want to thanks: Asano and Richard Marklew for trying to help me out. Asano’s tip worked. Then i tried to get the head and ear togetter but it didn’t work. After 2 times screwing the head up i tried a new approach and then i came to this.

The model isn’t perfect around the ears, because i used a lot of subdivide on edges and they gave me 3 vertices, so that became a bit messy. I will clean that up in the coming week, but i wanted to know some more points to make my model better.

I would really like some focused critiques:spin: and you can have the blender and do whatever you want with it:cool:

Gekke Pop

PS: Keep in mind that these are my 2 very first models so i don’t know every detail of blender.

Attachments

mannetje2_25.blend (155 KB)vrouwherhaling_25.blend (159 KB)

Cool,very well done,and though I know nothing,about modeling humans,and theyr heads,I have a few crits :slight_smile:
on the first image,the nose weird,I don’t know why,but I get that feeling when I saw it.
and the eyes,should be more round,on the second image,they look like a flat plane,
the profile looks too flat.
the second head is good.The profile looks realistic,though the ears are too small,I think,but very well modeled :smiley:

On the first model the eye area and the nose needs to be fixed. On the second image the lips needs to be fixed and it needs some eyelids. The heads look good.:wink:

The cheek area needs to be a bit more defined. Also, the head mesh is a big improvement.

For your first two models those are very good!! You’ve got a good sense of proportion and detail. However, I think the underlying structure of the model is holding you back from getting the most out of it. Here is a video of how I structure the edge loops when I begin a head model:

http://www.youtube.com/darrinlile#p/u/9/p_H0_v5p5XA

I hope that helps.

That is a great video. One of the better head tuts. Interesting that Albee was teaching that. I have a tremendous respect for Timothy Albee. He has great ideas and is a wonderful teacher. I think it is a sound technique. I found my way to it on my own a few years ago and I think it is really workable. But you also did some things a little different in that video so that is cool to see. Especially with Blender tools.

I talk about this technique a little here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83878&page=10

This concept of drawing out polyflow is a very powerful technique I use pretty much any time I am modeling something complex.

To to OP, take the advice of Darrin Lile to heart. It is probably one of the most important things you’ll learn about subsurf modeling.

Probably just below, in importance, to first understanding what good flow is and what it is you should be drawing in the first place.

So model a lot and study good models for how the flow is arranged.

To help speed up this understanding - which can take dozens of heads to get your own head around - here is a basic basic sketch of a head polyflow and form.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61143&d=1217138463

More explanation and pics here:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=152652&highlight=oval

Also included in that link is a blend file to study.

Your model is missing a lot of volume in the cheeks, and isn’t lining up with the reference all that well. The chin is a little flat on the bottom and is also not lining up with the reference. The sculpt tools are great for adding in that volume, and tweaking the model so check them out. When you use the sculpt tools to tweak though don’t get carried away and use the multi res modifier, this isn’t the time for that, you’ll end up with mush. The eyes on both the models are missing tear ducts which are very important if you want a realistic looking model. I recommend doing some sketches of the face first; sometimes that helps me understand to understand an object a bit better. By the way your edge loops seemed to have improved from one model to the other.

Darrin, I don’t like how easy you made that look. I think I’m mad at you. :mad: (joking)

Thanks for a great tut. I have my own method for face modeling, but it usually involves some retopology, I like your method much better.

That looks…so easy o_o

Hey gekke pop for your second head model this is way better than what i can put out lol
i guess i am gonna have to see what all the fuss is over Darrin lile’s vid he posted. I’m sure it will be helpful :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

The cheek area needs to be a bit more defined. Also, the head mesh is a big improvement.