10 Cubes Challenge 2022 Movies- Metropolis

I don’t know if I’m allowed to use a background, but I just used the same shader for the World.

9 Likes

I mean, we get a free plane so I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to apply the same material to the world just as well. I was actually looking at this one too but didn’t come up with a way to do it. But you nailed it! Good job!

1 Like

Thanks very much. I wanted to do Back to the Future, but couldn’t get it looking good with only 10 cubes. Metropolis just goes perfectly with the one shader rule.

2 Likes

Ahh another classic…

( C3PO’s grandma :crazy_face: )

“All 10 cubes must have the same material”
Doesn’t mention the ground plane or world. i.e. Just the 10 cubes need to be the same material.
“Keep the lighting and materials simple” (note the plural)
Loose interpretation of that rule says world material and ground plane material can be different, just keep them “simple” (which is open to interpretation also) - this gives you some wiggling room for composition.

e.g. My World Shader for the “Babe” entry:

Donno… @SterlingRoth, does all this sound ok or am I taking too many liberties? :man_shrugging:

Good luck!

1 Like

My official stance is the rules are made to be bent. If it gets your creative juices flowing to use slightly more complex materials and lighting, do it! We were contemplating doing this as a judged competition, but I wanted to keep it fun and flexible. And having to make the judgement call about what is or isn’t simple enough seemed really unfun, and also prone to being unfair.

So if you are enjoying yourself and having fun, it’s all fair game :slight_smile:

5 Likes