<Redacted>

Very cool! Iā€™ve had the same idea a couple years ago ,but Iā€™m not smart enough to build the node tree :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ve made a procedural skin shader that uses vertex colors as masks for the different layers: sss, pores, roughness, etc (you can take a look at the end result in my Pepper fanart here. If you want to take a look at it, I can send you a screenshot of the nodes.

Iā€™d love a screenshot of the nodes. :slight_smile:
My skin shader is 100% procedural. I use ā€œnamed attributesā€ to set weights for various masks, like the freckles.

How is the viewport performance when you change parameters? Such massive geonode trees arent exactly fast

ā€œSuch massive geonode trees arent exactly fastā€
Is 120ms fast enough? I have timings turned on all the time, and optimize for speed. And Iā€™m up to 6000 nodes now, having added horns, wings, and a tail. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s indeed not bad performance

I spend hours figuring out ways to do things differently when I see a node that uses >10ms. Doing things the right way, straight from the beginning, makes a world of difference. Iā€™ve had some nodes >200ms for just one nodeā€¦ not something I would have ever even noticed without timers being on. And I optimize further by using switch nodes that ā€˜discardsā€™ parts that arenā€™t being used. So, if tail is turned ā€œoffā€, then zero calculations are done for that part.
Mesh boolean is the biggest one I had had to get rid ofā€¦ Itā€™s extremely time intensive, and it shouldnā€™t be. So, I had to make my own version to add arms/legs/hands/feet/head/torso to each other.

I look at this way: if it takes more than 500ms total, then Iā€™ve failed. Project over.
The entire point of the project is to be able to generate a number of unique models in real time, without a hit to performance.

Whatā€™s with animation use? Have you tried?

Itā€™s procedurally rigged, and uses blenderā€™s standard rigify armature. Any animations that work with it should work fine with this model. I havenā€™t specifically tried yet.

Alright. Last question: does it support custom assets? Say, I need shape for eye socket; can the mesh/displacement map/whatever you used be replaced?

Have you thought of making a ā€œmannequin makerā€ version of this? Seems to me like itā€™d be easier (and useful to others) to create a humanoid figure made of disconnected parts and create basemeshes or starter bases for characters this way rather than trying to make the final model with just geonodes. I think there could be good money to be made there, with a ā€œbase model creatorā€.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty great! But it seems that thereā€™s been a bit of a misunderstanding in what I said: my proposal was to use your system to release a ā€œprimitive-based character creatorā€ of sorts. Iā€™d totally buy an addon thatā€™d allow me to quickly iterate between different proportions and sizes of the character (total height, limbsā€™ length, limbs/torso/waist/hips width, distance between the eyes, head/hands/feet size, etc.) before diving into modeling the details of my characters and settling on a final look.

Does you setup allow something like that?

Iā€™m imagining them looking just like this: image 01, imag2.

If you want to sell the results, youā€™ll have to compete with systems like DAZ Studio and Epicā€™s Metahuman, which produce, lets be honest, way better anatomy. If youā€™d manage to port this generator into Unity or Unreal asset, it would have more promise, but in this case, youā€™ll need to expose more control of body shape (maybe customise outlines of body parts with curves?) so users would be able to get more aestetically pleasing result

2 Likes