Challenge #787 (20/07/18) Entries CLOSED

Theme #787 for Friday 20th of July 2018 is:

Cutaway

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Tue, Jul 24, 2018 12:30 AM (Europe: Paris), Mon, Jul 23, 2018 3:30 PM (America: Los Angeles) )

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

I’m back, and will probably have time for the challenge this weekend! I already have an idea of what to make.

Since I happened to start another project and I didn’t get an entry in this past challenge. I threw this together rather quickly. This is my pure entry rendered in cycles at 128 samples and denoise and filmic. Going to call this one…

“Cookies Need Love Too”

Now back to my other project, learning rigging and pinning and constraints.

5 Likes

Fantastical Geode

Non-competing

Cycles, 512 samples, filmic, graswald add-on. slight vignetting done with corel.

Some fun this weekend. The cutaway are the geode halves with a random unicorn skull for decoration on a desert floor. Modeled the skull and horn plus the geodes in about 3 hours so really happy with the speed. The skull is medium density so can’t really get the detail I want on so will be refining it further for my library.

Used RobertT’s agate shader for the geodes. After studying them a bit I’ve started building my own so thank you again for the shader and sharing your knowledge.

Not sure if the unicorn skull needed shiny sparkles or be “realistic” with sinew and grime all over…so I left it alone. lol

Edit: Never mind. Wife informed me a unicorn is not a unicorn without sparkles.

!

5 Likes

Planet Cutaway

Pure

Cycles, 500 samples

9 Likes

Nice to see the theme got some guys already going! Hoping to see lots of appealing entries this weekends challenge.

My non-competing entry is a ‘slicked-up’ still from a animation I’m busy with these days called MetalMan using Blender, Animation Nodes and the Spline add-on + some composing in B3D+PS.

Edit: The beautiful character is made by Alin Bolcas, you can download it for free and use it for whatever you like; https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qxXLz.

I hope u guys like it!

5 Likes

Alien Cutaway

5 Likes

Wow! Some nice entries this week!

Mine is not completed yet. But here is a WIP render:

I saw many cutaways of houses on the internet (archviz stuff), and followed the same idea, but I decided to give mine a story. This house has fallen apart as the ground gave way, leaving the rooms cut open.

I still need to find some textures for the wood, add lost of debris as well as insulation spread everywhere, and some backdrop.

Critique please, anyone?

3 Likes

Decent unyxium!

You might want to check out what Depth of Field can do for your image. Also, the background is a lot of blue. Perhaps u want that spiced-up up a bit too. You could combine both tips into a heavily blurred building/windmill/church/… in the background or some kind for a huge time saver.

1 Like

DSLR Lens cutaway
Pure entry.Cycles, 256 samples (branched path tracing). 80 minutes modeling + 90 minutes rendering (intel Core i5-4200 @2.5GHz )

I didn’t know there was so much glass in there until today :laughing:

7 Likes

Nice entry, since u wrote about BPT I had to look it up, glad i did. Lots of use for it! Thx for mentioning.

1 Like

Work in progress. Still struggling with the tiny little details amidst a flu.
This will be cutaway of a giant space fruit… lol jk.

— WIP — (finished entry is below)

1 Like

“Deadly Nightshade”

non-competing (pure), cycles (256 samples + denoising)

4 Likes

Quicker more comedic entry this week.

Pure
“The cutting away of Adam”

2 Likes

Here is my non-competing entry:

ANY WAY THEY SLICE IT (A PARABLE)

Pure Blender 2.79, Cycles, only procedural textures.

Needless to say, please click / tap for full resolution (or perhaps view image directly and expand to 100% in browser).

Low poly / stylized mainly due to time limits, but I think it seems to suit the subject matter :smiley:

Interesting technical note: this was all modeled and rendered in one big scene (a live Cycles render):

Inspired partly by various cinematic “cutting” techniques, such as cross-cutting and cutaways:

RobertT

6 Likes

I simply loved the squirrel on panel three :smiley:

Stellar Engine

Pure entry. Cycles 512 samples, procedural textures only, all works done in Blender. Also trying out fancy title/caption effect once in a while.

Possible continuation of the story on The Ring (WC #745). Since some details got lost in the glare and due to the view angle, here are some more views:

Still not too satisfied with some details actually, but this should do for now.

6 Likes

Reminds me of Scrat. :laughing:

Fashion

Open entry. Continued fussing over last week’s model, and added a previously created scene.
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Cutaway.Fashion.html
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Silhouette.Shadow-of-the-Star.html
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Dark-Corridor.Destination.html

She’s wearing a cutaway jacket. I probably should have spent more time on the clothing.
1000 samples with despecling.

1 Like

No time this weekend, too busy playing with my raspberries, I have however just scribbled this post, We need to talk about Discourse