Challenge #795 (14/09/18) Entries CLOSED

Okay, it’s the final image for this contest:
It’s a pure entry.
Nervous ginger :

What i’ll do differently next time:

I started it in metric than went to blender scale, i’ll stay with blender scale for those kind of render.
Post processing is annoying on my toaster, i’ll use gimp.
Flames and SSS are a nightmare for rendering time, i’ll go with cheating directly.

I need more training about post and color grading.

Overall it was a nice project. Can’t wait for the next !

@str11: you didn’t choose an easy render to do, nice texturing job

2 Likes

Hi everyone!
I would like to hear your opinion about plastic bottles, that’s looks realistic or not?

If anyone knows - I have a quick question about this node setup for procedural edge scratches etc.
I was working with it this weekend and i cant seem to get “just” the glossy node and a texture (like wave) mixed together to have glossy scratch details. Basically any node texture i mix in with the glossy ends up appearing on the entire surface, not just the edges.

I did a bit of googling on it and haven’t come across a helpful procedural path, most examples use external textures - or incredibly complex node groups. I suspect i am just missing something.
If there is a resource or or helpful tutorial reference out there it would make my day.

Can’t answer your first question but for the second, did you see this:

Thanks @MadeWithFeet.
I tried to create maximally realistic material for plastic bottle.

Thanks! I never tried to do any animation or using eevee. I might try to learn it once I get a computer new enough to be able to render on the GPU. But I actually thought about making a short animation just like the intro of Futurama, featuring the crazy bus driver driving like crazy. Maybe one day… :smiley:

Without the bus driver there, it just wouldn’t be the same :slight_smile:

I think the material looks quite realistic, but they should be dented and crushed a bit. Being nit-picky, there should also be some distortion of the water around the floating objects. And nice render, by the way, you chose a very interesting topic.

In my (brief) experience with pointiness, I learned that you need to add a lot of contrast to it. The values often lie in the range 0.5 – 0.54, so it is really annoying to control it with the colour ramp.

Nice find! Yes I will take a peek into this document.
Thank you :slight_smile:

So true. It is so sensitive. It feels less like a controlled setting and more like one of luck to dial it in.
Plus if I switch to a principled (or other) it goes into sad places hah!

Here is my entry of this week c:

A Careful Fox

Open Entry…
i only work in this a few hours n.ñ

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback as usual ), I’ll try to fix this shortcomings.

You should use the pointiness value as a mask to control color (or BW) maps instead of shaders: this will be a lot easier to see what you are doing (it’s even better if you use the node wrangler addon). I agree with you: this is super sensitive, so here is a trick: increase the with of your colorramp node and you will have more precision :slight_smile:

I think using bump or normal map add a lot more detail than a roughness map because roughness maps need a very high contrast relative to the roughness of the rest of your model: if your model is almost completely rough, the variations would be barely visible.

So here is the process I would be using :

First I create (or I use) a BW image
Then I use the pointiness value to control the distribution of this map over my model
Then I correct the map with a colorramp node to adjust the contrast of the whole thing
And I use the result to control whatever I wan : Roughness, Normal, Color…

Here is the node setup:

This is the result on Suzanne with roughness only:

This is the result using the bump node and the MixRGB node:

Hope this can help you :smiley:
(and sorry for the eventual English mistakes)

2 Likes

“Come On In”

non competing (pure), cycles (2048 samples + denoising)

2 Likes

@Helge I suddenly picture Kevin from the movie " Home Alone" watching the burglars with an evil grin on his face. Toss in some Lego’s and that would definitely be a no entry zone.

1 Like

That is what I had in mind! :slight_smile:
Actually, I was going to add a few Lego bricks - but it’s getting late and as I’m a little tired lately I should probably start preparing the voting as long as I’m still awake. :wink:

Did I not see it or did last challenge winner didn’t get put on featured row?

Now that you mention it - I don’t think it was there. Or I have missed it, as well.

[edit] It isn’t in the feature row history, so I guess @Fweeb just didn’t find the time.

Yes.
That helps a good bit.
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right way.

I’m certain that, if @Helge were responsible for it, this kind of delay wouldn’t happen :slight_smile:

Was away on travel so posting got delayed. On it now. :slight_smile: