Challenge #797 (28/09/18) Entries CLOSED

“Learning To Fly”

Pure. The loose leaf texture was done outside of blender, but that’s it.

Edit: I borrowed ideas from @DM9’s excellent entry for adding a bit of texture to the sky. I added motion blur to the planes. Added some charms to the girls’ bracelet to make sure it was clear it was a child’s hand. Fixed some finicky details in the models.

I’m now getting artifacts on the side of the girl’s arm from the model that I can’t figure out how to get rid of, any ideas?

Edit 2: Changed lighting a bit and refined the model to get rid of the artifacts from the second attempt. Changed the colors on the charms. Upped the sample count and did a tiny bit of denoising. Final version, but if someone had ideas about how to make a pleasant looking, but not necessarily realistic skin and human model I’d be interested in learning more.

9 Likes

Some work in progress screenshots, still some more stuff to model for the scene. - Let´s see if I can get this one done in time?

EDIT: pilot and plane put together, still missing the co pilot though. :wink:

EDIT: On we go, the co pilot is ready to take its seat. ^^

EDIT:
Some composition testing for the “focus elements” of the scene. :smiley:

EDIT:
I did a bit of experimenting with the lighting and a procedual sky texture. I am not sure yet, if I like it. First it´s on with the background elements I think.

EDIT:
Some “happy clouds” and a few rainbows later … Render time is up from one to nineteen minutes due to the clouds. :confused: ^^

EDIT:
A heart shaped looping? - Yes. ^^ :wink:
I think I am done with the scene. Now on to final rendering.

EDIT:
The final scene …

16 Likes

Open due to grass essentials
Title: Flight of the Horseman
ITS SPOOKY SEASON YOU GUYS

5 Likes

I love it! Welcome back to the challenge :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, yes, it has been a while… ^^

Here is my non-competing entry:

MARTIAN SANDSTORM-R

Pure Blender 2.79, Cycles, only procedural textures.

RobetT

8 Likes

Maiden Flight

Pure entry. Cycles 512 samples, procedural textures, compositing in Blender.

Concept based on this old 2D work :

https://www.deviantart.com/purbosky/art/Bombardier-499839026

3 Likes

Post Card from a Bygone Era

Non-competing

Cycles, 3000 samples, hdri lighting, Graswald add-on, Paintshop Pro image filters

P-40 Flying Tiger fighter plane. New model. Super fun practice on applying decal images.

Post Script:

Guys! Wow. All the entries are fabulous. I am totally envious of all your creativity.

Just wanted to share a few more renders with this model.

3 Likes

My pure competing entry rendered with 399 samples.

Flight of Bricks

Fantastic theme, really got me to step outside of my comfort zone.

5 Likes

your winning alread man !!!

Lets Fly

com-video-to-gif

11 Likes

Awesome style, atekdigital, I like it a lot.

“Over the rainbow”

Here is the final image, pure, modeled and rendered in BforArtists with some minor color adjustments in Affinity Photo afterwards. - This one is about the joy of aviation and flying around in a candy colored world. ^^
Have a great weekend everyone.

19 Likes

Gosh how can we compete!! I was wondering how you make lighting planes that don’t show up in the render? I can’t seem to find that setting…

That one´s easy and quite essential to “fake” lighting where needed.
In the object properties there is a “Cycles Setting” rollout, where you can choose the ray visibility for every object in the scene, you can not only hide it from the camera, but also from reflection, refraction, diffuse, etc. - Very handy. :wink:

• As for the lighting I used the light plane as a fill light from the right and two suns, one big one for soft lighting, that illuminates the scene, but is hidden from the reflection and a small one, that shows up in the hightlights of the eyes and on the plane.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! I’m so used to having to strategically place the planes just out of sight of the camera :stuck_out_tongue:

In a way that´s more realistic, since photographers have to deal with that as well. Although for complex product photography they usually do multiple shots with and without the lights, so they can easily eliminate the lightboxes in Photoshop later. - That´s easier in 3d land. ^^

1 Like

Update on Acrobatic Suzy
Still a Pure entry

The nose cone you barely see was very annoying with having clean propeller hole …

4 Likes

Wooow! This is very 2 cute and nice braaah. I vote!

Ahhh, hope I’ll finish my scene on time