Challenge #809 (21/12/18) Entries CLOSED

Oh man, I’m so excited about my entry, yet I’m undecided on one crucial element. I’m waiting on a response from two good friends to see which they like best but I just want to upload something right now!!! :smiley:

It’s my birthday also, so I’m a little giddy today :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday

I made you a cake. :wink:

Don’t know why but I thought that was funny. Probably senility.

5 Likes

Haha, nice. Thanks very much :slight_smile:

So, here’s my entry.

LA Wave.
Open.
Cycles 500 samples.
I used the OpenStreetMap plugin to steal a little bit of LA to create my city.
For my character I traced around a raster image from the web and then added a solidify and Sub surf to give him a little depth to catch some light.

My “moutain” is also just a plane with a Sub div and solidify so it catches some shadows from the character.

Heavy glow added in the compositor.

8 Likes

So here is my entry :

Sweet Dreams.

I used a photo to reproduce the letters of the neon so I think it is an open image. Everything else is from me made in blender 2.79 with procedural textures. I am new to blender so this is pretty exiting.

5 Likes

A Dream of Bright Future

Pure entry. Cycles 256 samples + denoising, procedural textures, compositing in Blender, all models are new.

8 Likes

Welcome @Maelys031 to the challenge, we’re glad to have you here!

Great render, I think it has a good chance of winning! :grinning:

1 Like

Just a small addition for the material topics, here’s a simple and quick setup for assigning random colors to various separate objects using one kind of material only (without having to assign different colors individually) :

I used this for the bokeh in the bg hence the emission shader, you can change it to suit your needs (diffuse, etc.).

1 Like

“Sloth”

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples)

10 Likes

Here’s my enter I’ll call it " cyber city "

Eevee 1000 samples, denoising, bloom, sub serf scattering, ambient occlusion there is no compositing or after effects its blender

I used make human to do the characters and modeled the clothes myself everything else is blender.

Im going to go open with this one.

The road is a procedural texture I made and I add emmison to it so its emitting light to :grin::sunglasses:

Lol, I guess everyone found out my surprise with the emmison :joy:
It took a little time for me to get the emmison to work in eevee :smirk:
Some of the setups you guys showed didn’t work in eevee I had to do something else to get it to work :speak_no_evil::open_mouth::see_no_evil::hear_no_evil: I used a grass node setup for the emmison it was challenging.

5 Likes

Happy Birthday! I’m sure the Christmas Sloth will find a present for you too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe it’ll arrive by next year :joy:

Here’s what I was talking about with your last scene :smirk:
Oh oh my ship is so powerful its engines start breaking up a planet when it gets near it

Where’s your ship going I’ll follow :sunglasses:

3 Likes

OK I tried the node setups they work it took me forever to figure out where to put the emmison node in the grass node setup and it only took a few nodes to do it :disappointed_relieved:

This is how complicated it was

This is my personal grass setup
You can use the brown defuse node on top for texture or what ever else
If you need a better pic let me know and I’ll get it for you :+1:

Pure eevee, it’s way too simple but that’s what I have right now, maybe I’ll add stuff later, i tried adding mountains but i didn’t like how it looked, then i tried adding silhouettes of palm trees but for some reason the image as plane in 2.80 doesn’t show up in the render, it just works in the viewport

scanlines and rgb shift were added in post

good luck everyone, I’m new to blender and the blender community, so far I’m really enjoying it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wee enjoy the company. :grin:

It gives everyone the chance to learn from eachother and get feedback at the same time

1 Like

Thanks, I’m learning a lot

This is your Christmas present guys :grin: the hair node emission

Love this. I was also looking at styles like this to try and minic. Even down to the palm tree shades, as you mentioned. My original background was also a grid but I changed as I didn’t like the final look of it.

1 Like

My Boy is dreaming having a Star Wars Saber this Christmas.

All on 2.80

i guess Pure entry. only snippet of Granit Xhaka’s wallpaper is from the www

edit: this is what he got :slight_smile:

and finally wrapped up

4 Likes