Challenge #821 (15/03/19) Entries CLOSED

Thank, you. I need to check it as soon as i get home. Yours looks way better

@Helge
It might be it… i might forgot to make it hollow ahaha

Personally I try to avoid solidifying glass. I play around with IOR values somewhere in between .7 to 1.4. With some proper lighting it usually does the trick. Lots of samples, no denoisers, save as 32 bit exr, load it into PS and go to Camera Raw settings and see the magic happening.

(.exr from 2.80.48 gives a file error in PS. I am sure this bug will be fixed soon.)

Of course, it always depends on the circumstances, but so far I haven’t had many problems with this approach. I find it rather relaxing as, usually, realistic IOR values work right out of the box. Have you been experiencing any particular issues with the modifier on simple geometries?

Hi,

I couldn’t resist to try something reading this theme. I hope that I will find a bit time tomorrow to push it a bit further.

Pure blender, textures procedural.

6 Likes

heres the file for you guys there is not much a tut on it should explain itself and have fun making explosions with an s not singular :wink:random multi explosion release.zip (189.1 KB)

Sand Tiger Shark

Non-Competing

Cycles, 2048 samples, filmic, rendered in 4K, volumetrics, GrasWald add-on ($), image filters post Paintshop Pro

Not entirely happy with the image but not super displeased either. 15 minutes to model the shark, many hours playing with the composition and lighting. Still not good at it.

4 Likes

Poor lil guy looks sad that all the other fishies swam away.

think I have something for this going to use live image and compositor with some 3d assets :thinking: might do some roto or green screening, color gradient, and some masking not Shure yet ill have to see how it turns out

Sharkie is sad. His new dinner friends had to leave early before he got to the restaurant.

I sometimes miss Florida. Sharks, bears, panthers and alligators everywhere. lol. Okay only really alligators and sharks were everywhere. Florida does have bears and panthers but you never see them.

Sandcaslte. Pure, competing entry.

12 Likes

Abandoned battleground.
Pure
First render(This is my entry):

Everything is blender, only used Gimp for compositing and a stock image for background since I can’t afford to render it all in one piece. Inspiration for the ship came from Eric Geusz.

Second render (All blender except the clouds, those were painted in gimp):

I still can’t decide between these two. What do you guys think?

-Decided, first one is the one.

12 Likes

Now I would say last one. If u manage to have the sand interact more with the chesspieces I would say the first though.

like so;

3 Likes

OPEN entry “Sandstorm”
Cycles 256s

4 Likes

nice lighting, also like the pareidolia effect in it. :slight_smile:

@RayVelcoro thank you for the blend file. I’ve played a bit with my glass, but couldn’t get it to work. Then i used solidify as @Helge said and this is what i get. I’m coming closer to what i had in mind

6 Likes

ur sand is looking great! perhaps some upscaling for the upper section…

Thank you, I think i forgot to add modifiers haha. Gonna fix that now

Sadly I don’t have time for that now. Though I still think that I’ll use the first one.

On second thought i think you are right. Its a stunning entry.

Happy Birthday Lord Vader
Someone told the intern Lord Vader would love sand…
Pure.

4 Likes