Challenge #834 (14/06/19) Entries CLOSED

Is that CBD-01…? :smiley:

Unbeatable as usual.

Rush Hour - Traffic jam in Blender City

Pure Entry

My first entry ever. Wanted to participate in the weekend challenge for a while but didnt have the time. This weekend I felt like I had enough time to put my idea into a render and this was the result

Made in Blender Cycles 2.8. Used sappling addon for the trees, everything else was done procedurally. Had to decrease the resolution to 720p to keep the image below 250kB. Unfortunately I dont have more time to work on this project before the deadline so this is the end result

9 Likes

You don’t really have to worry about the file size contraints. The rules are really old and are due for an update. I think most people here end up going over the limit anyway, so there isn’t any penalty.
But even with the lowered resolution, your render still looks fantastic. The scene is full of life, especially with all the lights.

Edit: also the rules were made so many years ago, when the file size actually mattered (and maybe 1080p wasn’t the norm, though I wasn’t here back then). Nowadays, 250kb is tiny

I think, it was a software bug in the travel agencies booking system, which sent him into a desert - instead of a nice, damp cellar.

I wouldn’t go so far, but thanks! :wink:
The 2.8 transition is still slowing me down. This will probably take a little longer.

Don’t worry about the size limit. It has already been ignored for ages. :wink:
Welcome to the show. Wonderful entry!

Who isn’t? :wink: Welcome back!

Nice entry! And don’t worry, you have come to the right place. This challenge is for fun. And at the same time, almost everybody is learning something new along the way every weekend. (E.g. that the boolean modifier’s carve solver didn’t make it into 2.8… :wink: )

2 Likes

@Nitram_2000 I made changes to my scene. The camera angle is better, thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ended up with too much else to do, been busy the last couple weeks. Wont finish it today, but ill see if i can get it done on Wednesday

1 Like

Here’s my entry !! I wanted to make something cartoony yet realistic :smile:

8 Likes

I’ve updated my entry. I made some small changes to the image, but, most importantly, there is a back story now.

I suppose long-time WEC participants may recognize the other members of the family. :wink:

1 Like

Hey! My first time posting in the forum although I’ve been lurking around for some time. I saw this challenge earlier this evening and decided to put together a quick entry inspired by a photo I saw on Pinterest.

All models created today, except for the rocks - they were created yesterday. Vegetation using Graswald add-on. Some color correction in Photoshop, where I also added the birds as I thought the top left corner was a bit empty :slight_smile:

12 Likes

wow, this week the entries are all over the place :wink:

1 Like

Guess one could say they traveled vast distances. :wink:

2 Likes

Bobby The Bobber (Pure)

Ah guess I was a bit too late…

Anyway, I only used curves in the creation of the motorcycle. So absolutely no meshes used at all. The file size for the entire scene was under 2 megs. :smiley_cat:

(Rendered in Eevee)

Blend file:

(it uses an HDR file, but it’s the forest one that comes with Blender.)

9 Likes

Curves are awesome. Not many use them to their potential and as you mentioned they are also easier on the memory usage. Nice entry too by the way.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah curves are awesome and it can makes life very easy. For instance with pipes and wires. What I really like about them is that you can always go back when you mess up. I hate it when I reach a “point of no return” when you have to apply all the modifiers to continue. With Curves you don’t have to worry about that. I posted my .blend file above if you want to check it out.

1 Like

Man awesome work. As I am a beginner I can not even begin to imagine how u achieved that with curves. Thanks for posting your blend file. I’ll definitely look into it.

1 Like

Thanks!

No problem. It’s actually pretty easy. I think if it wasn’t for curves I wouldn’t have been able to get it done so quickly (started work on Monday, was a public holiday). Curves are very powerful and a great tool to have in your tool box.

If you have any questions about anything, don’t hesitate to message me.

Now back to my ongoing side project at least till the next theme comes out. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s awesome! I have no idea how you did it. I’ve tried and failed miserably. Do you have any advice, tips, tutorials etc. you can offer?

1 Like

@Bakkies Thank you. Tutorials on what? The car render? If so I would say just about any car modeling tutorial out there will help, don’t restrain yourself to only Blender tutorials, as much of all 3d modeling is done in the same methods. There may be other tools or names for tools that other software uses but once you see it used you will now what it is called in Blender. Also high quality blueprints are key in getting the details done. Not your line drawn prints but actual modeled orthographic view blueprints. And as always ton’s of reference images.
If you want you can message me with any questions, don’t want to keep bumping or alerting others when comments get posted here.