Challenge #834 (14/06/19) Entries CLOSED

It’s been a while since I’ve participated, due to some hard themes. But I love this one, so I got started right away! Here is a FINAL

edit; I could easily spend 10 hours lighting&composing this entry, but it’s time to call it the day. Hope you guys like it a bit;

studio2

16 Likes

First Out
Pure, Eevee

There’s reason to believe that the first thing humans launched into space was a steel disc (usually described as a “manhole cover”) welded on top of the shaft over an underground nuclear explosion in 1957 – if true, and if it didn’t hit something in the Solar System, this would be humanity’s first object traveling into interstellar space.

I’m busy this weekend, so here’s my hasty attempt at a partially melted and heat-polished manhole cover in space. All textures either procedural or maps procedurally generated, baked, and hand-painted – except for the background image, that’s from Wikipedia.

3 Likes

@RayVelcoro
I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Very fun style so far!

@KickAir_8P
…I thought it was a space Oreo, and I was laughing because Milky Way. Still an excellent choice of subject.

1 Like

I just have to post this to lock myself inn… Im too good to procrastinate

here is a better view of the cart

10 Likes

The cart is awesome! Push the camera in and focus on that.

2 Likes

TRAVEL COMPANION
Hi guys. Before anybody judges me i just wanna say that i’m a beginner at Blender and this is my first render ever. So plz don’t laugh…! The scene shows a headphone which in my opinion can be the best travel buddy. Its a pure entry(completely made in blender). Thank you and best of luck y’ll…

11 Likes

@JonTargy
First off, welcome to the community! Also I’m sure you will come to find that there is very minimal negative responses on this site and even less to none in the weekend challenges. Secondly that’s awesome for your first of firsts, glad to see it wasn’t a coffee mug or donut. :slight_smile: most here are also willing to share and give tips if asked or mentioned. Keep it up and I look forward to additional entries and works of yours.

1 Like

Thank u so much. And yeah I would definitely like tips…

Ditto. Welcome to the fun. It is a great way to grow.

Sharp looking headphones.

Around the Corner

Non-Competing

Cycles, 2000 samples, filimic, hdri lighting, smoke simulation, re-use of my model from last week :blush:

The B-52 Stratofortress has the flying range of 8,800 miles on one fuel load. With aerial refueling, the only travel limitation are the crews (food, water, …etc.)

The high pitched whine of the engines and the smell of burned JP-8 always lets you know they are at the end of the runway. It is a beautiful aircraft in a utilitarian type of beauty.

6 Likes

Yep, I modeled (1/8th, UV unwrapped, xyz mirrored) a simple manhole cover, sculpted the melted & dripped edge (FYI: I don’t sculpt, so that was fun), baked an edge-detect map and then hand-painted the melted area in it to show the heat-polished areas as more reflective – when I rendered it, what did I see? An oreo dunked in milk.

After hours of working on the manhole cover’s procedural texture (including a noise displacement masked to keep it from roughing up the smooth areas and a bit of color noise to make the iron a smidge less monochromatic), giving it a procedural starfield surround (that’s what you see reflected, Wikipedia’s Milkyway graphic’s on a plane behind it) tweaking the lighting to the bare minimum that shows the detail (interstellar space is pretty dark) and fiddling with the composition (Rule of Thirds – not the best call for this), what do we see? An oreo dunked in milk. ::facepalm:: Well, it was good practice.

U-huh, Simple-but-effective works – looks good!

1 Like

Don’t worry about being a beginner do what you like doing best and keep doing it “CGI” :grin: and learn what you can from everyone to become better.

“whispering” maximum affert :superhero::sparkles:

“The Travel Bug”

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples, blender 2.8)

15 Likes

On a Jet Pane

Another one of my adventures in cloud rendering. Two blender crashes later, here it is.
Pure entry, branched pathing, I think it comes out to between 1000 and 1500 samples or 1 and 1.5 kilosamples.

8 Likes

@Helge
Aww, he looks so sad and old and dying. Did his wife kick him out?

No pun intended. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Going with a simple road trip out in the country. The luggage might not make it though.

Pure Entry Cycles 2.79

“Country Roads”

7 Likes

Why do I have a feeling that you watched this Half as Interesting video which just came out?

2 Likes

“An adventurous frog”
Pure (Cycle)

Lack of time to finalize the small trolley on the right and the frog is come from another personnal project.

11 Likes

Summer Flight

Open entry. Aircraft model is new, decals made with Inkscape, nose art edited from a past contest entry, background from UnSplash.com, lighting with HDRI from HDRIhaven.com.

Blender 2.8, Cycles 256 samples + denoising + compositing.

logo2

8 Likes

Nope, although I can see why you’d think so! I read a couple of articles on it a while back, maybe a year ago. I thought it a good idea to work with, but didn’t feel up to it then. This prompt came up and I gave it a shot.