Challenge #843 (16/08/19) Entries CLOSED

Hi everyone!
I wasn’t able to finish my render (I had some memory issues with the turf…) so here is my latest WIP who will be, if I don’t come back from the job early, my entry. Pure, made with Blender 2.80, 128 samples.

“Half a hole doesn’t count”

4 Likes

Hi, did you model these lights and water on the floor too? What materials did you use for the water?

Haha, a good one :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, yes.
In this scene, I have 3 sun lights, an “invisible light” (from Blender’s Material Library) to give a little relief to the left part of the image and the blue one under the cube is a simple emission shader)
For the projectors also i used a simple emission shader.

For the cave I used this nodes (certainly perfectible) with enough roughness to have that impression of water (moisture rather) :

(But I did not find the right rendering settings to avoid the artifacts around the projectors …)

Nice… I really like your entry it’s still very nice. You are pretty good. :+1:t3:

Half Sense

Non-competing (pure). Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

A quick entry just to pretend I did something. This is about half shapes. I tried to make half as much sense as I normally do, which is not a whole lot of sense.

Not sure what did I do, but my computers really tried to make my life miserable last weekend. And boy, did they manage it.
I actually made a completely different entry on Sunday, but since I still have no internet at home, I put the render on a USB stick in order to upload from work. After a whole lot of mess involving repartitioning the usb stick, opening the desktop tower and removing its disks, I managed to lose the file. Luckily, I lost nothing else.

To be honest, I like the image I did today better than the one I did on Sunday .:stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I decided to sit this one out my model went hay wire on me during sculpting.
Everything was sculpted and ready for clothes to be modeled then I applied the subsurf mod and everything went flat.
Might have been because I was sculpting on a rigged model. :grin:
I know not to sculpt on a rigged models, but I did anyway. :grimacing::no_mouth:

Glad you like it, thank you :slight_smile:

Your model looks delicious though… Like Ice-creams and Candies :smile:

“Demivierge”

non competing (pure), cycles (256 samples + denoising)

It is! :wink:

9 Likes

Without you…I’d only be part of a whole

Open entry. HDRI for the reflections, tile texture from textures.com, Composited in AE

I keep seeing and like the kind of art where objects have personality, so I decided to give it a try.

7 Likes

Title: Half Love Lost.
Pure entry. For this theme I probably could have submitted half my attempts at a contest entry over the past few years. Happy to be finally submitting something again after years of being away. Unfortunately as usual, still didn’t have enough time to finish lighting, compositing, etc. But it’s good enough to enter.

5 Likes

Very nice render! :smiley:
How did you get such cool realistic metal on the knobs?

2 Likes

Hey @rradarr, thanks for the compliment. Sorry I took long.

Getting anything realistic or even natural looking needs bunch of things.

Aside from the lighting, geometry and texturing the biggest contributor for stuff like glass and metal is reflection data.

This is what it would look like without anything to reflect. the fastest way to get that done is a HDRI there are lots available for free I got mine from https://hdrihaven.com, the can always be tweaked and for more info, you check out this Blender Guru Tutorial

The long and…pure way is to model and texture all the objects that would appear in the reflection. :sweat_smile:

But of course the material also greatly contributes, for this case I had procedural node set up.

There many was to go about how to set up your nodes I can’t really go into it extensively as I’m learning how to mix match and use them myself but here is link to a site ive been visiting.
http://www.blenderinsight.com/1494-2/

It’s almost like a recipe book hope it helps :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply. I also had some questions that got cleared up with your comment.

1 Like

You are welcome, @Anam_Shahid and welcome to the community.

1 Like

Thank you… Its a very friendly and supportive community. Glad to be a part of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the most amazing concept i have seen so far on the topic yet. I didnt know we could denoise on blender.

Also, Blender comes with several HDRIs, one of which (forest.exr) is the LookDev default – if it worries you, use one of them and you’re well within Pure territory, IMHO anyway.

Not sure where to find them on a Mac, but on Windows they’re in Blender’s installed folder, Blender\2.80\datafiles\studiolights\world .

Haha,
This would have been my final if I had finished it in time!

“Half a hole doesn’t count”

7 Likes