Challenge #848 (20/09/19) Entries CLOSED

I totally agree about the “weekend is busiest”-thing. Planned to tinker a bit with arduino and a waterpump for a greenhouse, together with my spouse. Biggest problem is we both suck at electrics.

Anyway, here’s my entry, it’s fully pure. First time skin material, too. But one never gets better if one never tries, does one? :slight_smile:

bstabens

5 Likes

The Pullable Rabbit

final version.

will spend the day playing with the particle system.

Going open once again. This is the model I used in my
http://blender-weekends.franciscocharrua.com/Passion.Bunnies-of-God.html

7 Likes

Hello everyone. This is my attempt to make magic. Pure, cycles, 400 samples, colour grading in PS.
corrected version with more colours.

11 Likes

“Indistinguishable from Technology”

non competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

7 Likes

Reminds me of school when I would fill out the scan-tron test tickets ABBACADABBA :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Voodoo Magical

Non-competing (pure)

Cycles, 3000 samples, hdri lighting, filmic, ivy addon

A fast render of a cnc Halloween pattern I am making this weekend. Halloween wreath decoration.

5 Likes

Pure - eevee render

5 Likes

:sparkles:Magic Wand :sparkles:

Pure, Eevee

Source: download

5 Likes

Magic Mars
Wide open entry.

Cycles render in 2.81 Alpha, 32 samples & AI denoising. 8x5 aspect ratio, Golden Sections composition. Things I did for this that I’ve never done before: fresnel atmosphere and masked cloud layer on a planet. Terraformed Mars created from a maps-included tutorial by Fictional Reality, screentext map made in Inkscape, postwork in GIMP. Mars’ magic square can be found in the Wikipedia article.

4 Likes

Was going to take a break from competitions and challenges for a while but figured what the heck. I might as well do something. I know it isn’t much of an original idea but it was all I could come up with.

Pure Entry Cycles 300 samples denoise and filmic used.

“Magical Beans”

9 Likes

Instrumentum Magicka

Non-competing. Cycles 256 samples + denoising, lighting with HDRI and sun lamps, procedural textures, effects and finishing done with GIMP. Altered the shape to be curvier than the reference.

I actually had made a much fancier scene :

… but unhappy with some elements (sorry for the pun), and another idea just popped in to made the wand and here we are.

WIP

Trying to model the wand of my anime crush. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

dark magic:skull_and_crossbones:
modelled jack o lanterns and candles before going to bed… night night

pure cycles, 500 samples.

6 Likes

Can anyone explain me what’s the point of posting non competing entries?

1 Like

We’re all doing this for fun (maybe fun plus something, like fun plus skills practice, but still). Some of us aren’t eligible to compete, some have anxiety issues about competing, some feel their skill levels are so high they’ll blow newer artists out of the water and they don’t wanna do that, etc – no reason to exclude anyone from the fun! So we don’t.

6 Likes

I see. Well I thought about different skill level, but never about other reasons. Thanks for your answer.

I’ve never seen one of these - but it sure looks like magic. :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha yeah I might have dated myself posting that. Had to use a #2 pencil otherwise it might not read the card correctly. Similar to old style computer punch data cards just the pencil marks acted like the hole punches.

Magic ears
Pure - Eevee

10 Likes

Visiting a Shaman

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

I went for a more indirect type of magic, with a shaman that talks to spirits to know the future.
Here is a little story to go with the image:

I felt the bitter scent of magical herbs long before I arrived at the Shaman’s tent. Sitting at the mat behind her, I waited. She did not speak a word; it wasn’t necessary. Seeing my naming hanging next to those of the dead… One does not need to speak to the spirits to know this is a bad omen…

7 Likes

Technical reason : winner of previous challenge is not eligible to take part - provided that the winner decides the theme for the next one ( if I remember correctly there’s one case when the winner competed again as s/he chose not to select the theme - the moderator will decide the next theme then ).

Non-technical reason : I think @KickAir_8P already had them explained very well ( or in short : just wanna have fun :grinning: ). CMIIW, but this maybe the only contest/challenge that has this unique category.

Speaking of the latter, we’ve been missing the legendary @RobertT for quite some time now …

1 Like