Challenge #858 "disappointing superpowers" (29/11/19) Entries CLOSED

Faster Than the Speed of Caution

I’m using 2.81. what is going on here? I like the shiny new functionalities, but the voronoi texture I used on one of the mats slowed my render time significantly. This took 28 minutes to render. Odd thing considering that I chose speed to be the disappointing power.

note: without the voronoi texture, the scene takes 2 minutes to render. I sense something is up with blender’s recent build.

Final version: Decided to chose a color scheme that would fit my cartoony approach, as well as the comic book theme, red yellow and blue.

9 Likes

Is this “disappointing super powers”, or “these are pointing super powers” in a weird accent? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Fake news disappoint superpowers.
Eeeve, Blender 2.8.1
Open

PH Bob
Minion World

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwxIN3ysveOMI2_GwV2ya8w

5 Likes

Super Scammer

Non-competing. Cycles 256 samples + denoising, procedural textures, bg from HDRIhaven, ‘lemonade’ text made in GIMP.

9 Likes

“It’s raining, Invisible Man”
Open (MB-Lab character)
Blender 2.81 Cycles

8 Likes

Super stink power.

Non-competing. Eevee + HDRI.

8 Likes

The Power to Ruin

Pure entry (sort of). I used textures to make the globe and the flags, and also the sappling generator for some barely visible trees. Everything else was made in Blender.

I took a different interpretation of what “superpowers” mean.

If the world’s superpowers like the USA and Russia wanted to prevent global warming, they could. If they wanted to end wars, they could. If they wanted to eliminate hunger and guarantee a reasonable living standard for everyone, they could.

But, alas, they don’t want to. If there is any superpower disappointing everyone on Earth right now, it is them.

Old version:

12 Likes

I really like your take, almost a guaranteed vote from me. Unrelated, I’ll have to spell check the topics from now on, found out disappoint had two p’s after I uploaded my files to the website, too lazy to change that now :wink:

1 Like

I second that!

Nice catch, I guess, I should update that one… :wink:

1 Like

“Ólafur”

“After being pinched by a small but rather strange blue crab, Ólafur developed the unprecedented ability to turn fresh water into ice. (At least that’s what he tells everybody…)”

non-competing (open - reused penguin model and snow material from #797 Aviation), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

9 Likes

Falling from high places man - Power good for one time use

Non-competing

Cycles, 3000 samples, MBLabs, border 3rd party software

Little Johnny always wanted to fly. Much later, as a young man he thought he got bit by a flying pigeon which he believed transferred the power of flight to him. The 12 pack of beer and the bottle of Jim Beam helped reinforce the idea. After telling his friend, “Hold my beer. Watch this!”, we know the sad outcome of the one time use of this power. :wink:

10 Likes

oh, god, i hate those.
I’m fine with spiders and sort, but this things…

The Hero that can never type Whatsapp messages because his fingers are too big.

Rendered in Cycles with 128 samples, Pure.
This turned out better than I expected. I used the modeling cloth addon.

8 Likes

Oh ya it’s on like donky kong. :crazy_face::dizzy_face::no_mouth::drooling_face:

Thought I would try something I haven’t done for a change. :grin:

Here’s my entry

" The power of self doubt "

Cycles 128 samples pure

Denoise

New Character sculpted

Freestyle

Composited in blender

My custom interactive skin shader is on the character

2 Likes

On the matter of typos: dought or doubt? :slight_smile:

Doubt, misspelled was tired when I was working on it Lol. :grin:
The character is so doubtful it forgot to spell right lol. :grin:

That is why I wasn’t sure. It could have been on purpose just as well. (Especially since we had that little glitch with the theme.) :slight_smile:

@Millani Love this!!

“If the world’s superpowers like the USA and Russia wanted to prevent global warming, they could. If they wanted to end wars, they could. If they wanted to eliminate hunger and guarantee a reasonable living standard for everyone, they could.”

This reminded me of a Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson lecture I attended in 2017.
The question of what he would do to fix our problems if we made him our global leader was raised.
His reply surprised me!
Paraphrasing that response -
Don’t place hopes in a leader to solve these issues. They won’t know all the answers. Instead people should collectively work together and come up with the solutions. Then the people should hold our “leader(s)” accountable to implement them.

1 Like

although it would be faster, easier and cheaper just to let it to the market. you know, just write off the “leaders” and stop offloading our moral/ethic responsibilities. let freedom stretch its legs a bit, for a change.