Challenge #859 "Futuristic Architecture" (06/12/19) Entries CLOSED

Hmmm. image problem, updated mine after a failed upload.

Spaceship Earth

Non-competing

Cycles, 3000 samples, denoiser, Generate Plates ($), Nebula generator ($), reused spaceships from previous WC.

Early arrival of the edge of the Andromeda Galaxy caused our sun to burn through its fuel in 1000 years. A 1000 years of technology advancement allowed us to search for a new sun courtesy of spaceship Earth and the futuristic architecture that allowed us to survive the coldness of deep space.

5 Likes

just leaving a hint:

2 Likes

Somehow I made a giant flying taco… yummy.

WIP

EDIT: hmmm it looks like the image got cropped, gotta click on it to view the whole image, and zoom level (100/75/50%) doesn’t work… * shrugs *

3 Likes

“Cydonia Mensae (Mars)”

non competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising) (Inspired by Mesa Verde Cliff Palace)

9 Likes

Tall Generic Skycraper - Cycles 1000 samples + AI denoising (2.81) - Pure

Inspired by this pinterest image https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/215469163409514886/ and is at least my 5th attempt at making a sky scraper, slowly getting better but really struggled with colour and lighting.

7 Likes

Really nice, do you have any references on how yo made the sandstone?

Urban Skies

Open entry, BG image from Unsplash.com. Cycles 256 samples+denoising, procedural textures, level correction in GIMP.

15 Likes

“Fallout”
Pure
Competing

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m glad you like it. :slight_smile:
The stone material is procedural, using a few texture nodes (wave, musgrave) which drive displacement, bump and color. In order to make the displacement work I also added a subdivision modifier set to ‘adaptive’ (experimental) to the cave object.

As this is the Weekend Challenge, I was in a hurry, so things aren’t as polished as they could be, but if you are interested, just have a look:

2 Likes

I’m doing the final render, but (as usual) it’s taking longer than expected.
[maybe it means that all is going according to plan, on an alternate pocket universe]
I always thought that volumes were too slow on blender, than I watched a talk on the developers side off the matter at the blender conference, and got the confirmation. Yes, blender still suck at doing volumes. I mean, calm down, it’s just a couple of clouds, you don’t have to be a jerk about it. :upside_down_face:

so, here is my entry:
“Floating city on inauguration tour around the world”
pure - cycles - 64 samples - 8h render time

when I think of the future on architecture, I think about Seasteading, and initiatives on floating, self-sustainable cities. so i imagined a small community, with a few hundred people, containing the main offices/services on the central building, residential areas on four of the eight building complexes (that have hydroponic farms and playgrounds on the inside) and various levels under the main deck, with motors and more farms. added a couple of solar panels as an alternate backup energy system (permanently charging giant batteries), and covered the main deck with trees, to create a small ecosystem, that would help in case of failure on some of the basic services, everything working on desalinized water. ( also, under the city, would be formed a thriving ecosystem of sea life, that could be used to obtain food and help manage garbage disposal, in a “Eco-friendly” way.
Here is another angle:

also, if you want a wallpaper, here’s the full res(4K):

also, if you want to know more about seasteading:

10 Likes

Here’s my first ever WC entry. I can’t believe how hard it is to do a scene in one weekend. Hats off to those of you who do it every week. 99.44/100 percent pure Blender 2.8.1. The environment image is from hdrihaven.com. I’m surprised no one else thought of the Jestons! 4 of the buildings are based on actual Jetsons buildings, the other 2 are my own creation - the one on the left is based on the Blender logo. Enjoy!

9 Likes

welcome!
you get the hang of it very fast. doing the weekend changes actually made me a better artist.
hope to see you around on the next ones :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

“Abstract Tower”
Competing, Pure, Cycles 256 Samples, Denoising, Post-Pro in Blender

Not exactly like I imagined, but I like it.

6 Likes

Building Bridges

Non-competing (pure). Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

With the cost of surface area rising, buildings started to get really tall. So tall in fact, that people no longer wanted to go all the way down to buy the groceries or visit a neighbor. Instead, buildings are connected by suspending bridges, effectively creating vertical districts.

6 Likes

Aspiring Town

LuxCoreRender, Bidir+Metropolis 80 samples; denoised with OIDN.
Open entry.
Terrain mesh from online terrain elevation generator and texture from satellite image. Color balance in GIMP.

6 Likes

Here’s my entry. In the future, grass will grow right in your curved kitchen. :wink:

6 Likes

Thats my entry. Pure, rendered in Cycles with 100 samples + Denoising + Compositing in Blender:
Stanford Torus.
Sadly running out of time. The buildingy came out realy crappy.
I used a Space HDRI. Everything else is modelled by me.

5 Likes

Brilliant, really simple looking, thanks for sharing, might give this a try on the next challenge.