Challenge #860 "Mysterious Device" (13/12/19) Entries CLOSED

Pure EEVEE.
Title “Parts”

They knew it, but couldn’t do anything about it. Free will? Is that what they wanted? All they knew, they were part of a mysterious machine, but no-one knew exactly what it was.

6 Likes

Mysterious box
This device is so mysterious that even its author doesn’t know what it is used for.
Pure entry, Blender 2.80, Eevee, 128 samples

9 Likes

Great theme, I made something so mysterious even I do not have a clue what it could be. Hope you like it though! :slight_smile:

‘Mysterious Device’

10 Likes

@mirek_snd That’s pretty cool, it looks like something out of qube 2.

@RayVelcoro Perhaps it’s a sci-fi aeolipile with a twist? :smile: How did you do the energy/plasma/sci-fi glowy stuff?

It’s a simple voronoi texture combined with some transparency + post glare within the compositor.

Have a look at the .blend:

The Alien Cube

Pure entry. 1000 samples. Working with the smoke simulator was a bit challenging, but I’m happy enough with the result.

5 Likes

“78 rpm”

non competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

9 Likes

record player needle on vinyl

1 Like

Big Bang device or a marble…a mystery

Non-competing

Cycles, 2000 samples, filmic, a bunch of particle systems

5 Likes

Cool FX… I like the swirl

1 Like

Gramophone needle on shellac. :slight_smile: But record player needle on vinyl counts, too.

2 Likes

hey guys, this is my pure entry, its something retro inspired aha, i made the models today, the floppy disk drive is a yamaha fd03 1dd, i was scrolling through the results for “floppy disk” on google images and saw this and thought i had to do something with it. so i modelled it from a reference image. i did the same with the floppy disk, though those are just standard disks. i used eevee for this project, which i normally use only for prototype renders, but i think it turned out good enough for the 80s look i was going for. i think i’ll do something more with these models i made today, probably tommorow lol.

6 Likes

here’s my entry:
“a different kind of magic”
open - cycles

I reused the tardis model from one of my last entries :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sono Pazzi Questi Romani!

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, procedural textures with help of hand-painted textures.

This is a real artifact from the ancient Romans. Its purpose, however, remains unknown.

This is an attempt to reconstruct the following photo which I took in a museum in Lyon:

The composition is terrible, but I blame the photographer. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

3 Likes

maybe it just doesn’t have any purpose, and the first one was made by an bored blacksmith trying to make fun of at the “modern arts” trend of the time, that consisted of nailing random fruits on walls, then selling them for an exorbitant value, but ended up having the opposite effect, and became a trend as a curious and overpriced decorative object, and then, someone figured out a way to mystify the object and started selling it around the roman equivalents of Instagram (the public baths) and old ladies Facebook groups (caves with hallucinogenic emanations) as the last new way to tell your fortune, and historians are cracking their heads open trying to figure out the functionality of either the roman equivalent of those useless kitchen products that chop onions you can find on wish.com, or the aftermath of the first ever five minute crafts video.
just a though, tho :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s a treat dispenser ball for ancient Roman pampered dogs. :slight_smile:
@Millani

1 Like

something strange was unearthed by an earthquake:

cycles (1500 samples)

3 Likes

I only came across this on Sunday afternoon so I went with the first thing that came to mind:
As a lad, I came across a mysterious device which I took to be some sort of torture device (which it would have been in the hands of my older siblings :slight_smile:). It was years later that I found out what it really was.

Modeled and rendered in Blender; the inscription (hardly visible) was done in Photoshop and added as a texture in Blender.

Thumbnail: tn_MysteriousDevice

Image: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xem9Y

P.S.: I hope this is the correct process. I spent almost as much time double checking the rules as I did creating the image.

2 Likes

Somehow lost all my work this week. .blend file is completely gone after closing the application. Oh well, great entries everyone!