Challenge #875 "Colony" (27/03/20) Entries CLOSED

When I think of Colony I thinks ants and bees… :wink:

2 Likes

Not to make too much light of clensing but… You mix those two together and get a can of raid, your all set.

That’s what I was thinking too.

Don’t be ridiculous, you can’t enslave dead people! You start murdering people after they built a settlement for you to live in, and then you no longer call it a colony.

That’s what i started, ants.

Extraterrestrial

Pure entry, 1000 samples with denoising and microdisplacing.

Pure entry 2000 samples with denoising. Candidate.

Pure entry 1000 samples with denoising. WIP

2 Likes

Here is my Entry of this weekend Im calling it " The Meeting of Two Colonies "

Pure Blender with Cycles.

12 Likes

Here’s my entry : Mars Colony Transformation
Open entry i think, downloaded textures. Rest made by me.

5 Likes

Here is my entry…

COLONIALISM MADNESS

• IMAGE UPDATED 3/28/2020 3 pm *

Pure Blender 2.82, Workbench render + compositor.

RobertT

10 Likes

I thought entries had to posted here and not a link to another website. Just wondering seem like should be share there artwork here promoting blender artists website.

Actually, it doesn’t matter. As long as the image can be embedded here directly, using any kind of external web space is fine, too. :slight_smile:

Using blenderartists for hosting the images can be more convenient. However, using your own hosting solution gives you more/full control over the image (and its quality).

1 Like

OK good to know I was just wondering…

1 Like

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “John”
Cycles 1024s

5 Likes

Hi,
Entry with minor ajustements in krita. Cycle Render.

“I should have stayed home.”

9 Likes

Hi,
Pure Entry: Potatoe Colony
Minor adjustments in Affinity Photo (which has a 90 day testperiod right now :smiley: )

2 Likes

“Multiplanetary Species”

non competing (pure), cycles (128 samples + denoising)

11 Likes

Meet the Covids. pretty pure entry. :slight_smile:

Fam. Covid

6 Likes

Does anyone else have the impression that Blender 2.82 is a bit too memory hungry? I just sculpted some terrain (probably less than 1M vertices in the end, I didn’t check), but when I switch to object mode, Blender ate all my 16GB of RAM. Now I can no longer open this blend file since blender eats all my RAM :frowning:

EDIT: Ok, it was just me being stupid. I made a plane, added 4 levels of subdivision to it, forgot to apply the subdivision modifier and went on sculpting. When I went back to object mode, Blender tried to calculate the 4 levels of subdivision on a mesh with 300K faces…
No wonder it was eating all my RAM!

Luckily, under Render properties there is a simplify tab which allows you to control the maximum number of subdivisions allowed. So I can set it to zero and import the object from one blend file into another.

1 Like

You got my Vote already :supervillain: :man_health_worker: :ok_man:

1 Like

Doomed Space Colony

Pure entry, non-competing.

Cycles, 200 samples, the one image texture I made in paint.net. Used paint.net for minor post, color desaturation and title.

Haven’t played in Blender for about 3 years, but had a little time so I pulled up (ver 2.68).
Couldn’t even remember the basics, spent more time figuring out how to do stuff that was second nature in the past. Ran out of time to anything else, though it needs some more detail.

Good to see a few names from the past are still around.

3 Likes

I keep falling back to 2.79, because of small things which slow me down, really struggle to get used to A and Alt+A for selecting none… or Alt+M -> Distance for removing doubles… The list goes on and on…