Challenge #880 "Organized Chaos" (01/05/20) Entries CLOSED

Astronomical

Pure entry, 1000 samples. Fun with procedural, experimental microdisplaced volumetrics, and even particles! Life itself comes off as organized chaos.

3 Likes

What does “organized” mean, after all?

1 Like

Not an entry, the theme made me think of how the nodes look to a beginner.

11 Likes

It could be an entry. It was made with blender after all. :wink:

2 Likes

Light is chaotic, and even then i can see you. :heart:

Gravity in Light - Pure, cycles, compositor and procedural textures

I’m not sure why, but i finally thought of a black hole… which brought the question “Can Blender do Gravitational Lenses?” Well… of course it can, it’s Blender! (it took me quite a while thinking how to do it xD)
Some animation… 153 images show more than one…
black-hole-animation0001-0250
i didn’t cheat, to my eyes this actually looks quite close to gravitational lenses - i’m…happy :blush:

I think chaos is just undesired order, and organization is just a well known chaos

11 Likes

Disruption

A quick and easy abstract entry this time. Pure.

13 Likes

“Fickle Hours”

8 Likes

View points, pure entry, cycles

The 4 images are taken from this small animation https://gifyu.com/image/lyFn

7 Likes

Pure, used a old WC entry I made earlier that I used for the puzzle

Puzzle

tone

11 Likes

EDIT : This is my final entry!
Pure entry made with Blender 2.82 cylcles 120 samples. Hope you like it and have fun blending!

Organized Chaos, Color makes the difference.

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well during these special times. Here is my first WIP for the Weekend Challenge. It’s been a while and I’m happy to be able to participate this weekend! I’m playing with a procedural displacement texture. Have fun and stay safe!

7 Likes

nature is chaos but in its own way its organized
pure entry, eevee.

AZWpIr

4 Likes

That looks really cool. Did you achieve that with a refraction shader or volumetrics? Or is it some other node-wizardry?

chaos disorganized

open, non competing.
Open because chair, table, candles and books are from BlenderKit.
Cycles 1920 x 1080 path tracing 240 with denoise and compositing.
Will probably keep working on this throughout the week.

2 Likes

i didn’t master node-wizardry yet. It’s refraction :slightly_smiling_face:

I was reading a paper and learned some important things that i should have used:

The Photon Ring, an area where the light have orbited the black hole three or more times — orbiting light with a refraction shader?

Doppler effect, the side of the ring coming towards the camera should be shifted to blue, and the side of the ring going back should be shifted to red — that’s easy using some mask on the texture.

Time dilatation, the side of ring being bent behind the black hole, should move “faster”, at least looks like it.

Curious stuff, hu? :blush:

2 Likes

“In The Right Mind”

non competing (pure), cycles (256 samples)

5 Likes

The subject made me think of one man;
Ian Hubert” Pure entry, Cycles 3000 samples

Started on friday and worked on this for two days straight, so I’m pretty pleased with the result.

6 Likes

But where are the moths? :wink:

1 Like

In the background. :wink:

2 Likes

Hello,
PURE entry “Random numbers”

5 Likes

Mandelbox “Julia”
Pure entry. Cycles.

I see I’m not the only one who thought about fractals as organized chaos. This one is based on the “Julia” variant of the Mandelbox formula.
Previous attempts to render a 3D fractal in Blender without importing the mesh were made. This one by JonasDichelle uses volumetrics to render a Mandelbulb.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get good results for the Mandelbox with this technique, so I tried something else.

I made an OSL script for the Mandelbox formula, and created a special material using this script. I imagined a way to render the depth in a simple cube without volumetrics. This way, I didn’t have to import anything, or use any addon.
Since there is an OSL script, I had to use Cycles.

3 Likes