Challenge #880 "Organized Chaos" (01/05/20) Entries CLOSED

i didn’t master node-wizardry yet. It’s refraction :slightly_smiling_face:

I was reading a paper and learned some important things that i should have used:

The Photon Ring, an area where the light have orbited the black hole three or more times — orbiting light with a refraction shader?

Doppler effect, the side of the ring coming towards the camera should be shifted to blue, and the side of the ring going back should be shifted to red — that’s easy using some mask on the texture.

Time dilatation, the side of ring being bent behind the black hole, should move “faster”, at least looks like it.

Curious stuff, hu? :blush:

2 Likes

“In The Right Mind”

non competing (pure), cycles (256 samples)

5 Likes

The subject made me think of one man;
Ian Hubert” Pure entry, Cycles 3000 samples

Started on friday and worked on this for two days straight, so I’m pretty pleased with the result.

6 Likes

But where are the moths? :wink:

1 Like

In the background. :wink:

2 Likes

Hello,
PURE entry “Random numbers”

5 Likes

Mandelbox “Julia”
Pure entry. Cycles.

I see I’m not the only one who thought about fractals as organized chaos. This one is based on the “Julia” variant of the Mandelbox formula.
Previous attempts to render a 3D fractal in Blender without importing the mesh were made. This one by JonasDichelle uses volumetrics to render a Mandelbulb.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get good results for the Mandelbox with this technique, so I tried something else.

I made an OSL script for the Mandelbox formula, and created a special material using this script. I imagined a way to render the depth in a simple cube without volumetrics. This way, I didn’t have to import anything, or use any addon.
Since there is an OSL script, I had to use Cycles.

3 Likes

Makeup bag
Open. Zipper texture came from (http://jayl-stock.deviantart.com/), table top and brush handle texture from Poliigon.

I got to thinking about very large professional makeup bags filled to bursting with supplies and tried to make that happen here with a pretty meh level of results.

This was the first time I’d tried volumetric and hair rendering. You can tell how will it went given that all the brushes are headless and there’s only 1 vial of nail polish. I generated most of this image using an array modifier with the physic simulation. I was hopeful to how more than 5 objects, but this was also the first time I ever really tried the shrink wrap modifier as well. There’s a lot more I wish I could’ve done (procedural generation of colors for the various supplies, adding more objects, giving the case handles, etc…) but I screwed up one of my geometries so much it’d crash my computer trying to render it, so that took up a ton of time to fix.

2 Likes

“This is what Online School does to your room”

Pure entry, Cycles, 200 Samples
Quick explanation: this is a recreation of of my gaming room in real life where i have been doing my online school recently. its organized because school papers of the same subject are next to each other, but its chaotic because the paper are everywhere.
(also, would you like me to put up a picture of the room in real life so you can compare?) this is my first time making something like this, as for quite a while in blender i have been working more on rigging rather than modeling. what do you think?

2 Likes

“Labeled”
I used this challenge to see how quick i can model a lot of low detailed objects.

Pure entry, rendered in Eevee.
I modeled everything by myself. The woodtexture and the fabrictexture is from cc0textures.com.
Everything else is prozedural.

9 Likes

Open entry - Cacti models from Botaniq ($)
“Chaos of Nature”
I wanted to try out the some new models and learn about rigid body simulations for the pebbles

7 Likes

NICE!
:rofl: :rofl: had to think about my recent attempt with rigid body simulations.

1 Like

Here is my entry…

EXECUTIVE DECISION, or DON’T WORRY, WE NUMBERED THE PAGES

Pure Blender 2.82a, Cycles (300 samples), only procedural textures.

RobertT

8 Likes

I was thinking to do the same thing, i even asked people for ideas of objects to model. Got a +500 objects list, so, i decided to go for the black hole instead :joy:

Give me two chocolate bars and i can reorganize those papers, if you want.

Or hit Alt+G :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Alt+G doesn’t seem to be helping much, but I find the result interesting…

For a bit motion blur, I animated the fan so it oscillates back and forth while the fan blades spin infinitely.

I left it on while I was working on the project, and I also had a real (vertical) fan running in my room. Almost felt like it was coming from the screen. :smiley:

2 Likes

I told you, with Blender even air becomes realistic! :joy:

1 Like

"OCD"

This is my first entry in a challenge (Pure). When I heard “organized chaos” I thought of OCD tbh. If you don’t know what OCD is, then it probably doesn’t look like much. For those of you who don’t know OCD is a mental health condition. It is basically being a perfectionist to a whole new level. Such as organizing every single M & M on the table. It may look organized, but inside the mind of a person with OCD, its chaos. I tried to capture that with this display. I hope my image captured what OCD is like better then how I’m explaining it in this description :laughing:. 1000 samples, cycles, 2.8.

3 Likes

I don’t have OCD and even then i sometimes organize spiral noodles by color before cooking them all together :joy:
However, too much perfection turns my brain in some kind of “Something’s wrong” mode

Welcome to the Weekend Challenge, btw! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If i ask somebody else to render my file because they have