Challenge #889 "Crazy Hats" (03/07/20) Entries CLOSED

Theme #889 for Friday 3rd of July 2020 is:

Crazy Hats

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jul 6, 2020 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just remembered my entry from #693 “Foresight” (2016).
I guess, we might just as well start this one off with a little recycling.
(Not an entry, of course.) :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Beyond the Wall of Pink

pure entry: 1000 samples.

5 Likes

Teapotted Suzanne

Pure entry, 32 samples & compositor denoising in 2.83.1. Composition is a gratuitous abuse of the Rule of Thirds, 5x8 aspect ratio. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done before: colorwash overlay on the environment texture (studio.exr again) in the World nodes.

TeapottedSuzanne005.blend (1.5 MB)

9 Likes

Here is my entry, “Artemis”
Rendered in Cycles @ 1024 Samples with AI Denoising on; Blender 2.83. Final color grading and watermarking in GIMP 2(?).

Here’s a link to the blend file!

K I sorta went and changed my entire mind about my submission. Last entry would have been open anyway, because of the textural pbr used on the cloth and eh.

This is what I would like to submit.

The Artemis Helmet
This is a pure entry. Everything used has been made in the last 3 days. Rendered in Cycles, with 512 samples and AI denoising on.

Nevermind myself, I’ve altered the camera angles and added effects that make the headspace feel crazy. The helmet was crazy cool, but now the man inside it also feels unhinged. Same render settings as previous, Cycles at 512 samples.

Here is a link to the .blend file! Minus my compositing secrets huehuehue.

I really want to learn how to simulate photo-realistic arterial blood. Sorry if that sounds insane but it also sounds very useful.

Actual Final edit I swear (sorry Helge :< )

I did the blood. I also bit the bullet and upped my samples. Took a long while but it was well worth it.

((See Above First Render :3 ty Helge))

12 Likes

Great theme. I came up with a fantasy fire hat/helmet. bg+fire dep. logo came from google. Make it open.

gl all!

Fantasy Fire Hat/Helmet

tone;

11 Likes

Alittle wip…
Added some mist/fog by both volumetric and also mist pass; and because of that the bands in the hats where not as defined as i wanted them to be so the Emmision setting in the principle BSDF shader was used to make them pop alittle. The right room has one light, the other two rooms have three pointing at different angles to get the shadows and “god rays” into the hallway. The padding of the cell rooms was modeled and then textured to make the walls alittle dirty. For the floor i wanted the “expansion joints” in the concrete and also wanted them to be alittle uneven so used a brick shader into the displacement node.

Wanting to learn more with procedural textures used bits & peices and combinded from these… Blender 2.81 : REALISTIC Procedural Bricks (In 3 Minutes!!!) and Blender tutorial - Procedural textures - Square bricks (Stone) #006 for the bricks. Used some of this to get the pitting in the door: Blender - Procedural Rust in Blender 2.8 Nodes

5 Likes

“AHHHHHHH”

Pure, Eevee.

Just happen to saw this old-but-GOLD (pun intented) movie quite recently so this was first thing coming to my mind :slight_smile:

(I guess if somebody has not seen the movie the scene does not make much sense, but if you haven’t seen it - shame on you :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

Introducing “the Symbiosis” – an organic and affordable hat for all styles and ages! This is a pure entry, everything except the hdri lighting was modelled and textured procedurally in Blender. Edit: i fiddled with it to make it look better, adding some other hats and some cloth to make it look more like a store. Rendered in Eevee. Link to .blend file.

Entry image:

Detail from the back, just a screenshot:

(The Symbiosis is a registered trademark, property of Hatsur incorporated (“Hatsur”). Hatsur is not liable for any personal injury that may result from improper or proper use of the Symbiosis. By using the Symbiosis, the user (“you”) agree to have your life and blood drained from your body, and to have your soul transported to Hatsur headquarters to toil for eternity, please read our privacy policy at www.hatsur.hats for more information. Please remember to use sunscreen in areas of your skin that are not covered or shaded by the Symbiosis.)

4 Likes

Here is my entry:

THE PICTURE HAT

pwc889-ThePictureHat-byrjt2020-Web-byrjt2020

Pure Blender 2.82a, Eevee render, 200 samples.

Project inspired by the fancy Edwardian-era hats - more about picture hats at this link.

RobertT

12 Likes

“Just In Your Hat”

non competing (pure), Blender 2.90 (new Sky Texture, OptiX Denoising)

It is getting early, good night! :slight_smile:

18 Likes

I’m curious about the shell wireframe, because I tried it some time ago and could never get a satisfying result.

He’s a dandy… snail ?

1 Like

Seconded, please, that’s a gorgeous shell! :smiley:

1 Like

Time Machine Hat

Art Details:
Pure art with procedural texturing (voronoi texture for wall and wave texture for wooden ground with color ramp), Rendered in cycles, single point light.

4 Likes

Gotta love that zipper, nice touch :+1:

Actually, that gorgeous shell is just in your head, as well. You really wouldn’t want to see it when it wakes up in the morning. :wink:

To be honest, this is an awful model. It is ok from that perspective, but it is out of focus for more than just artistic reasons. I didn’t even clean up a bunch of overlapping polygons in the center:

And it doesn’t have a proper back side:

Over the years, I have done a lot of weekend challenge snails. Trying a new approach at 4AM probably wasn’t the best idea. Be that as it may, this was just good old poly modeling (in a hurry). I used a spiral curve as a base, converted it to a mesh object, added a few faces and edge loops, fixed what really needed to be fixed and went on to tweaking material and camera settings straightaway.

Thanks! That is another beautiful part of the scene. :wink:

I think so! I’ll have to ask my wife, who came up with the idea for this one. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing! I think the shell is prettier for it’s imperfections! It looks more natural and real, and it’s also a lovely takeaway for me as an artist to remember that finnicking over making every angle exactly perfect might both take a lot of time and actually hurt the end product.

(At least that is most definitely the case with organics. I’ve been doing a lot of hard surface and it’s a lot of angle perfection :woman_shrugging:)

The zipper too ooo it’s exactly what it needs to be and nothing more it’s perfect. Gordon Ramsey “simple ingredients cooked well”. Did you also use curves for the opening, array cubes along them, and then make the curves real before modelling the hat?

1 Like

You are certainly right about imperfections. They can actually help to sell the illusion and save a lot of resources at the same time. It all depends on the amount and type of imperfections. And the weekend challenge is a great opportunity for practicing ‘imperfection management’. :slight_smile:

I actually did this the other way around. I modeled the hat (poly circle + inset/extrude faces + mirror and subdiv modifier) and cut a hole into the top. After that, I converted the hole’s edges to curves for the cube arrays.

1 Like

Wow, I have been underestimating the power of having a fluid understanding of converting between curves and vertices. That subdivision is so clean for what look like n-gons too. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I’m also realizing that I’ve been doing myself rather a disservice from not engaging with this community early on in getting into Blender. This place feels, much like Blender is an open source software, like an open source university campus. Nice to meet you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one is old but i think is appropriate.
I like to call it “finders keepers”.

7 Likes