Challenge #890 "Coming home again, to the perfect storm." (10/07/20) Entries CLOSED

Robin the Hood

Open entry. Had allot of fun scavenging through recent and old blend files. Some were old enough to not have the principled shader used in the materials. 1000 samples.

3 Likes

I’m so deeply grateful for those generous and kind words, FinalBarrage.

I’m inspired and heartened by this incredible community - each and every one of you - and it’s an honor to be among such creative beings.

I’ve always been, and will always be grateful for Blender, its developers, and this forum, and all of that has been especially appreciated after the loss of my mother in April.

It’s such a blessing to be here among all of you.

9 Likes

“Our Home A Perfect Storm”

Pure - Rendered in Cycles 256 samples
Post processing: Compositor and Gimp

10 Likes

going into a perfect storm of a final render.
hopefully it won’t take until Wednesday, but volumetric stuff and render times don’t go well together.
Also last W.I.P:

3 Likes

Looks interesting! I love the sci-fi look of it.

1 Like

Title: “Welcome Home, to the Perfect Storm”

non-competing

We did not have time to fully participate in this Challenge either, but we chose to develop the 2D concept art further instead – perhaps we’ll reach modelling in Blender another time, with a more straightforward scene in mind :slight_smile:

Description: Mr. and Mrs. Mole return home, only to find their chinaware in shatters – the whole condominium is shaking from the blatantly indifferent bathroom renovation upstairs.

7 Likes

Title: Don’t think thats what Marvin was thinking…

Open: Most items and textures where out sourced from the net.

Rendered in Eevee with 256 samples (128 would have been fine) and at 4k, 600 frames.
Used this to practice putting together a scene and work on a little camera movement.
Used two layers, one layer had everything in it and the second with just the character, wanted the character to come out of the dark and could not get a texture node to fade the character in from the shadows but using Color Balance in the compositing tab worked as i wanted. Tried to use some volumetric “mist” in a cube which worked for the most part except that the character is an image with a transparent backround and the back round was showing in the mist, plus that added alot of time to the render.

Was a lot of fun (with added humor), thanks for the theme Lilith_Scratch.

4 Likes

WIP . I hope I can finish it until my computer gonna melt. :wink:

4 Likes

So here is my Entry:
“Face The Storm”
Open - Cycles

“No one had their hope’s up when I said I was going back, to face my father’s wrath.
I had no chances against him, not on his own palace above the clouds, the domain of the Perfect Storm.
Even the Gods that chose me had their doubts.
I don’t blame them.
I never thought I would survive either”

Ormuz Okobe, on Tales of Astaroth.

Marked as “open” since I used this asset:

Closeup, Thumbnail and general comments

another angle:

closeup/thumbnail:

I tried a lot of things on this project, and it came out mosty fine. Still not 100% happy with the volumetric fx, but if I kept tweaking I would never finish. if you are wondering how it was done, the clouds are just torus knots that I sculpted a little and deformed trough a displace modifier.
I also rigged (not very well) the main character using Rigify, and used a cutout for the villain.

7 Likes

Figured I would share this one that I did a little while ago. Kinda goes with the theme. :wink:

Not An Entry

9 Likes

“Sieged”
Pure

8 Likes

Thank you! I hope you like the final render. It’s coming very soon!

Here is my entry:

HOMECOMINGS

pwc890-Homecomings-Web-byrjt2020

Pure Blender 2.83, Cycles render, 256 samples, and as usual: only procedural textures, effects/everything done in Blender.

RobertT

15 Likes

WOW! Thats about all I keep saying to myself when I look at this. Great work I love it!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh RobertT I’m so sorry to hear about your mother. Coincidentally, I lost my own mom suddenly in April as well. I agree this forum has been a blessing and it’s part of what has helped me get through it.

1 Like

Ok here is my attempt
RETURN TO STORM
Open

Everything was created in Blender but the maniquine figure was not created specifically for this competition, the robes and wind were.

My thought proccess was inspired but the old Dune SF novels. What if home is a perfect storm on a planet others think of as bleak and inhospitible.

6 Likes

“Zeus Returns Home”

Pure

Blender 2.83, Cycles, 700 samples.

Tried using blender’s toon shader for this one. Of course, I had to tweak it a lot to get the look I wanted. But I think it turned out pretty good. Just took an hour to render on my crappy PC! Though 10 mins would have been pretty much the same. For reference, the BMW benchmark takes 15 mins to render for me. All texturing and compositing has been done in blender. The lightning bolt in the background is from google. That works, right?

6 Likes

@FlyingBanana: Thank you very much. I’m grateful you like it.

@deltaray: I’m deeply saddened about the news of your mother. It’s a loss unlike any other, and I completely empathize. Please take care.

1 Like

I made half of my scene on my main computer, and then I moved it to my laptop with a touchscreen to add some characters with the grease pencil. Since the .blend file on my laptop was only temporary, I saved it on /tmp (which gets wiped on reboot on Linux). I mean, what is the chance my laptop would crash, right? It never happened before, why would it happen just when I’m working right before a deadline without a backup, right? That never happens, except in a perfect storm…

I guess you guys know the rest of the story. I’m afraid there is no way I’ll be able to finish it today, but maybe I’ll post it tomorrow.

1 Like

@deltaray: That is so sad. I don’t really know what to say but I hope you and your family are fine. (Well, as fine as possible. You know what I mean.) Something is just wrong with 2020. I really have been saying that too many times over the last few month.

1 Like