Challenge #890 "Coming home again, to the perfect storm." (10/07/20) Entries CLOSED

“Sieged”
Pure

8 Likes

Thank you! I hope you like the final render. It’s coming very soon!

Here is my entry:

HOMECOMINGS

pwc890-Homecomings-Web-byrjt2020

Pure Blender 2.83, Cycles render, 256 samples, and as usual: only procedural textures, effects/everything done in Blender.

RobertT

15 Likes

WOW! Thats about all I keep saying to myself when I look at this. Great work I love it!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh RobertT I’m so sorry to hear about your mother. Coincidentally, I lost my own mom suddenly in April as well. I agree this forum has been a blessing and it’s part of what has helped me get through it.

1 Like

Ok here is my attempt
RETURN TO STORM
Open

Everything was created in Blender but the maniquine figure was not created specifically for this competition, the robes and wind were.

My thought proccess was inspired but the old Dune SF novels. What if home is a perfect storm on a planet others think of as bleak and inhospitible.

6 Likes

“Zeus Returns Home”

Pure

Blender 2.83, Cycles, 700 samples.

Tried using blender’s toon shader for this one. Of course, I had to tweak it a lot to get the look I wanted. But I think it turned out pretty good. Just took an hour to render on my crappy PC! Though 10 mins would have been pretty much the same. For reference, the BMW benchmark takes 15 mins to render for me. All texturing and compositing has been done in blender. The lightning bolt in the background is from google. That works, right?

6 Likes

@FlyingBanana: Thank you very much. I’m grateful you like it.

@deltaray: I’m deeply saddened about the news of your mother. It’s a loss unlike any other, and I completely empathize. Please take care.

1 Like

I made half of my scene on my main computer, and then I moved it to my laptop with a touchscreen to add some characters with the grease pencil. Since the .blend file on my laptop was only temporary, I saved it on /tmp (which gets wiped on reboot on Linux). I mean, what is the chance my laptop would crash, right? It never happened before, why would it happen just when I’m working right before a deadline without a backup, right? That never happens, except in a perfect storm…

I guess you guys know the rest of the story. I’m afraid there is no way I’ll be able to finish it today, but maybe I’ll post it tomorrow.

1 Like

@deltaray: That is so sad. I don’t really know what to say but I hope you and your family are fine. (Well, as fine as possible. You know what I mean.) Something is just wrong with 2020. I really have been saying that too many times over the last few month.

1 Like

@RobertT
Your entries here are just the best.
This is one of my favorites of yours!

1 Like

“Untitled”

Pure entry + Boy 3d scan.
Cycles render - E-Cycles, 4096 samples (Denoised).

5 Likes

“Coming home again, to the perfect storm”

PURE , Blender 2.83.1 Cycles render + compositing

4 Likes

“Biogenetics for Dummies”

non-competing (pure), Blender 2.90

Actually, almost the same thing happened to me. I tried the latest 2.90, forgot to change the Blender temp directory, changed a modifier setting I shouldn’t have changed - and when Blender crashed, Linux wiped tmp and took the auto save files with it…

4 Likes

Happy Death Day
Open, Cycles 128 samples, Composition Denoising

Sketchfab skull model, Glass Wine and Cake.
Lewis model from Mixamo

Thank you very much, David.

I spent about seven hours on this one, so I’m thankful you like the end result!

Holy heck 7 hours? That is some quick, seasoned work if I’ve ever seen some, fantastic piece Robert :open_mouth:

Ok, this would’ve been my entry if I didn’t had that little issue yesterday.
Still, I managed to learn a lot about the grease pencil this week.

Little children sometimes really deserve to be called the perfect storm.

3 Likes

I love this entry so much! The mood and environment are perfectly executed. How much time approximately was spent on the character?

EDIT: I just read about the scan. Was this a scan of a real person or was it a figure?

Thanks man! I’m glad you like it.

The character is a free 3d-scan from turbosquid.