Challenge #898 "paranormal" (04/09/20) Entries CLOSED

I think the ghost was a blender user but is angry because his render crashed and now is trashing places. That is my take on ghost story :ghost:

2 Likes

Ghost Town
Pure (used a few images but I feel comfortable claiming this as my own)

Love working with volumetrics!

16 Likes

Very cute!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

“Paranoid Precautions”

Inspired by the Nachzehrer.

non competing (pure), Cycles (512 samples, adaptive sampling), Blender (2.90)

14 Likes

Second look

Open, Cycles 2000 samples because I can :3 , Blender (2.83)

9 Likes

How did you get the shadow in the corner?

Pretty simple, look up a cowboy reference image and shape a plane to the outline. When using this type of modeling I usually make some edits to the general shape until it fits my liking. Then change the material to a black diffuse mixed with transparent until it matches the other shadows’ brightness and paste it on the wall.

2 Likes

Behind the wall

Pure, Cycles

Saw the first Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time actually only a few days ago so I tried to mimic the stretchy wall scene :wink: Quite fun to make with cloth sim and shrinkwraps (to sharpen the wrapping and have the shapes more visible). Result - not as quite as I imagined (also models of the face and the hand are super lousy) but I’m quite satisfied with it for now :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Suzanne Gazing

Pure entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2.90.0. Central composition (although the eyeline’s on the Rule of Thirds grid), 1x1 aspect ratio. I made the texture maps in Blender during the challenge timeframe. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done before: Modeled a Blender Logo / Community Badge, UV unwrapped so the lines of the embroidery material went the right way (which turned out to be barely visible in the final render, oh well). beau11, between candlelight and an internal glowing Suzanne I don’t think the crystal ball’s fresnel showed up much but I did my best.

GazingSuzanne029.blend (4.2 MB)

7 Likes

I’m not sure you guys will believe me, but I’m not sure who else will. I saw that Blender 2.9 got released, which means a lot of cool new features, but it also means that I need to setup the start scene again. And also remove the cube. Or so I thought.

For some reason the cube wasn’t there. I’m not sure why, but I just went on making my entry for the weekend. But then… then I got this strange feeling that I was being watched by something. I decided to put a camera on my living room last night to see if it wasn’t something weird and…

And then I freaked out when I realized that…

The cube is stalking me

PURE
FEAR is what I felt when I saw this. I have no idea for how long the cube has been following me. Does it want revenge from being removed from my default scene? I don’t know.

I’ll try to finish my entry, but if I don’t make, you know what happened. And be prepared: it is coming for you next.

(@Helge I hope your scripts are “dumb” enough to parse this ;))

12 Likes

Title: Paranormal Paraphernalia
Pure, Cycles render, 1500 samples, no post processing

6 Likes

Ghostly Graveyard
Pure, Cycles 128 Samples

5 Likes

It actually worked right away. However, I’m not sure if I’ll find the time to start the voting thread tonight - as I’m trying to keep a close eye on all the windows, prepared to delete any default cube that dares to sneak up on our house.

2 Likes

First time posting here, sorry for cutting it so close.
Title: Haunting at the Parkside Village Mall
100% pure.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/egoe7eR
Turn your brightness up.
The link has a few different exposures, so you can see the figure better if your screen isn’t up for the low light. The second, more exposed one is my entry.

8 Likes

Bloom

Open, Eevee (SSGI activated), Grasswald Addon.

The roses are made by my and the texture is full procedual.

Sketchfab Models:
[ Skull (Frowning Skull (game model)) by Michael Makivic,
Skeleton Hand by Zachariah Hale]

4 Likes

I took your file and added a volumetric system to the scene and tried to bump those blender icons on the table. Just messing around with some free time. I really enjoyed your entry this week

2 Likes

I keep messing around with volumetrics (tried it on my Fragments entry, then ripped it out), still haven’t gotten a look I’m happy with – subtle effect here, nice. I intended to use bump to bring up the embroidery on the tablecloth, abandoned it when I couldn’t get it to look right – I think you’ve got it inset rather than raised. But don’t mind me, feel free to play around with it as you like, that’s part of what it’s up for. :+1:

1 Like

Dude is that SCP-106? Totally reminds me of SCP-106 aka “The Old Man”. If you have no idea what I’m talking about google it and/or search YouTube for “SCP 106”. Basically, it also involves a not-so-friendly character who can move through walls and is surrounded by filth. :scream:

No I never heard of it, looks cool but it looks a like the ghost of silent hill the room. fLh9GcV

2 Likes

Hi WV. Missed your reply until now, sorry. Not sure if that image is from SH or SCP but presumably it’s SH in which case that further cements the uncanny similarities between the two. Of course, SH came first so it’s possible the author of that SCP did a little “borrowing”. AFAIK the author has long since disappeared from the scene so we may never know. :ghost: :grin: Cheers!

P.S. If you’re interested in the story including the creature’s (community crafted) origin this is a good watch/listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFoQvVl1cmo