Challenge #901 "ray of death" (25/09/20) Entries CLOSED

Maybe death rays from Suzanne eyes? :wink:

1 Like

Title: Sunshine

Pure, Cycles

5 Likes

I’m back! At the moment, only this week end. I have had a lot of other things happen in life that have taken much higher priority.

So, to jump back into the challenges, I have a great interpretation of these “death rays”. (Hint: radiation and a conspiracy theory)

3 Likes

Ha, hope someone else does it! But I did get Suzanne in:

Death Orange

Open entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2.90.1. Composition is Golden Triangles, 8x5 aspect ratio. Open because I used an orange I made last year for my Weekend Challenge entry “Putin’s Propaganda”, Earth texture maps from NASA’s Visible Earth Blue Marble collection, and some texture-work in GIMP. Thing I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: hmmmm, well, I’m pretty sure I’ve never made a procedural death ray material. @beau11, I put Fresnel on the Earth for you!

Edited to replace image & blend file, fixed some issues I was having trouble with (don’t have much time this weekend, trying to get this in early).

DeathOrange017c.blend (2.0 MB)

6 Likes

“No, we don’t own a raygun!”

pure entry

At first I felt like letting this one out, but then the topic is kinda unusual and I do like SF a lot, so… have to take my break another weekend I guess!

I satisfied the lazy me by putting an extra-ordinary low amount of work in the materials, and making up for it with lights and compositor.

Ok after sleeping over it, I changed the camera angle a bit, because I worried it is actually hard to see what the point of the whole thing is. Hop it’s better now. Also some more colours and made some items in the background actually visible.

3 Likes

pure entry “the end”

64 samples in evee render engine. @KickAir_8P you and I had quite the same idea!

6 Likes

whenever i scroll past this it starts shuttering like its actually moving on a security camera. Nice illusion, im not sure if it was on purpose but its pretty neat!

1 Like

Hi thanks! And no, it wasn’t intended at all. I hope it wont be annoying to people too much haha:)

Nice theme!

Going for the vintage Raygun 2000 here. :slight_smile:

Vintage Raygun

pure;

Clay+AO;

10 Likes

Those walls stood no chance

such an underrated movie :frowning:

1 Like

You went significantly more realistic – lookin’ good! :+1:

1 Like

Death Ray!

Open Entry. I found the Skeleton somewhere on the internet.

8 Likes

Limitless Energy, pure cycles 1000 samles entry

@Karmon was talking about Nikola Tesla, and that inspired me to reconstruct his project for harnessing universal energy.

4 Likes

thanks man!

1 Like

“Ray”

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 2.90.1

12 Likes

It looks that we are gonna have very similiar entry :wink:

1 Like

Title: The bringer of Death

Pure

I went with idea three.

3 Likes

USS LongShot

Non-competing

Evee, Blender 2.90.1, 128 samples, $ addons: Plating and Greebles, Hull texture

Space Destroyer USS Longshot test firing it rail canon (death ray) on decayed comm relay.

First free weekend in a while. Decided to go back to school after feeling my old noggin getting a bit sluggish. Going to school for VFX in movies and animation. Knee deep in Maya, NukeX, Photoshop and hopefully soon in Zbrush but missing Blender. About 3 hours to make scene and 45 minutes to render in Evee.

Amazing entries as always.

4 Likes

Scythe Dreadnaught

Cycles, Pure

2 Likes