Earthward I’ve auto’ed and met the rising brush of non-paved terrain
And done a thousand things you would never care to
Skidded and dropped and flared
Low in the heat soaked roar.
Confined there, I’ve chased the earthbound traffic
And lost the race to insignificant headwinds;
Forward and up a little in ground effect
I’ve topped the General’s hedge with drooping turns
Where never Skyhawk or even Phantom flew.
Shaking and pulling collective,
I’ve lumbered The low untresspassed halls of victor airways,
Put out my hand and touched a tree.

—Anonymous

Everybody please wish me luck as I attempt Suzanne with wing-sized ears.

2 Likes
2 Likes

On Wings of an Angel

Pure entry,1000 samples. The hands are a bit off, but I forgive myself. Left in a model that I can use use in later entries.

2 Likes

SuzannaFly

Pure entry, Cycles render, 64 samples & compositor denoising in 2p91p0 alpha (latest build). Composition is Rule of Thirds (although I think some Golden Triangles snuck in there), 8x5 aspect ratio. Used the Nishita Sky Texture node and Sapling Tree Gen, one of Blender’s included Addons. Things I did for this that I’ve never done in Blender before: Modeled an insectoid compound eye from subdivided cubes arranged via an icosphere and a particle system. And I finally got decent volumetric clouds! Tutorial here, although I found it a bit difficult to understand, it worked! Then I blurred 'em in the compositor, but they were nice.

Had to get this done early, busy weekend. Yes, the wings are made from Suzanne’s ears.

SuzanneButterfly023.blend

9 Likes

Ready to the last flight…

Something quick because weekend will be very busy. Pure

11 Likes

Balloon flight - Pure cycles

Quick one before the weekend but good to have chance to do one again!

12 Likes

Awesome theme! Can’t wait till Monday to see all the entries on this weekends theme.

I came up with a Rocket. All blender except color corrections. I did 1 smoke-fire sim and placed 4 instances with some rotation applied for randomness. I added a prt. screen of the fire shaded in case someone is curious. Perhaps I’ll add some textures later on to spice it up a bit more.

Hope you like it!

Rocket

wire

fire shader

9 Likes

“Captain Dandelion”

non competing (pure), Cycles (128 samples + Optix Denoising), Blender 2.90.1

13 Likes

Title Frigate Flight

pure

After seeing the Iron Maiden cover I was tempted to do an interpretation of Pink Floyds’ “Pigs on the Wing” but decided to build me a bird instead. Frigate birds look almost primevil or like a fantasy illustration bird. I think it has to do with the shape of their wings that could be used as a templated for a dragons. Tried out the ocean modifier for the first time.

2 Likes

Bat with shiny exoskeleton.

Pure, if HDRIs from hdrihaven are allowed.

I learned a lot (mostly what not to do…) doing this challenge. Nothing went according to plan!
First time posting to the weekend challenge; let me know if I posted my entry incorrectly.

6 Likes

“Queen of the Skies, A Tribute To Amelia”

Pure

3 Likes

“UFO flight”
Pure, rendered with cycles. I used a random night sky image in the backround but modeld everything by myself. The city is made with the tissue addon that comes with blender and of course particle systems.

2 Likes

Title: It’s crossed your mind…

Pure

2 Likes

New life takes flight

pure
blender 2.90.1 cycles 512 samples

Background is a HDRI from HDRI haven. I couldn’t decide what to actually do but I’ve wanted to do an organic robot for a while so I did a dragon fly, that flies, so flight…?

5 Likes

Launch

Non-competing. Cycles, a bit of post-pro with Gimp.

5 Likes

“Flight Fighter”

Pure, Cycles, Blender 2.90, All compositing in Blender

I actually misread the the topic challenge as “Fight”! It escalated to the point I had a model ready to be rendered when I realised what a grave mistake I had made. I did some last minute reposing and added some flames.

6 Likes

Wings of Morning

Pure, Blender 2.9 Cycles

2 Likes

The White Crow

Pure. The background was wade in Krita, the rest with Blender.

I used Krita a few times before for sketching, but this was the first time I did anything “real” with it. It is quite a nice program, I think I will use it more often in the future.

6 Likes

nice feathers, I tried adding some to my angel but ended up hating the result, opted for clumped hair to approximate the effect.

1 Like

Thanks! The feathers are actually pretty simple, but I had to place them by hand on the bird…

1 Like