Challenge #993 "volcanic" (01/07/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #993 for Friday 1st of July 2022 is:

volcanic

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jul 4, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Hot Cube

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got an idea for this one. :upside_down_face::yum:
With the caustics it will looks awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

Meh, wanted lave flown down the vulcano, to look half decent it needs a resolution of ~90 and then the fluid calculates with 0,06 frames. :neutral_face:

I got a trick for making lava that I learned not to long ago.
There are no tutorials on how I’m going to make it.
It’s going to be a custom setup I make. :yum:
Mmmwwwaaahahahahah. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Placeholder.

Non-Competing, Old render

Time to remaster my old lava shader…

12 Likes

This is a custom wallpaper i made for my laptop all from scratch of course in blender.

As you can see there is a volcano eurupting and its abit ott but its perfect because I can put my icons on either side of the lava beam and it really fits.

It took 6 hours to bake the fluid simulation and another 5 hours to render! I also hooked it up with wallpaper engine and now the stars twinkle and the lava beam glows.

11 Likes

Steam

Open entry, just because of laziness. Currently my efforts are geared towards the monthly challenge at CG boost. This is a branch from my current monthly project, I deleted most of the objects and modified what remained to fit our theme. Made in blender 3.2 cycles.

5 Likes

Got some giggles from a guy at work.:joy:
He just found out not to long ago that I can 3d model, 3d print, render animations, do VFX and other stuff.
I showed him my renders and a animation then he show me some of his work.
He said " my work isn’t movie quality like yours is" and I about fell over.:blush:
I mean when I see my work it looks like a cartoon to me from where I’ve done this for so long. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Well let’s get this challenge on the road and get to modeling guys and ladies. :grin:
And good luck everyone. :+1:

2 Likes

School Project

Pure, Eevee, 64 Samples

Edited:
I smoothed out some triangular shapes on the side of the volcano.

12 Likes

Hanging lazy
Pure, Cycles 256 samples, rendertime ~15 sec., all made in blender, the textures are made in krita. Skipped the man in the moon, it looks odd due too the sizes, so i made a cardboard background and turned it into a hand made vulcano.

Previous

night_grilling10.blend (1.7 MB)

8 Likes

Erupting with Joy
Pure

Really quick one I whipped up this morning to get back into it

10 Likes

Lava Rooftop Fountain
Competing/pure (I didn’t make the background image)
Inspired by Gerudo Town from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I think it’s the coolest thing how all the water in the town comes from a central waterfall that goes into a rooftop-aqueduct system across the city, this is what I imagine the Goron City version of that being like.

8 Likes

“Meet Muddy”

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 3.3.0Alpha

13 Likes

Mt. Saint Io Mons

Pure (procedural starry world material is reused from a previous project)

The name is a mashup of:

• Mt. Saint Helens in Washington State, USA
  • the Jupiter moon Io, the most volcanically active body in the solar system
  • Olympus Mons, The largest volcano in the solar system. It’s dormant and on Mars

Most of the geometry present is geometry nodes. The project is 100% blender and no external assets were used.

This is my first weekend challenge. Gook luck to you all!

Look and Find spoiler

Can you find Suzanne somewhere in the image?

4 Likes

Hi Tyler, welcome to the challenge! Great to have you on board. It took me a moment to spot Suzanne.
One thing I noticed: I think you accidentally mixed up names. As far as I remember, Olympus Mons is the largest volcano/mountain of the solar system. (Matt Mons seems to be the largest volcano on Venus, though.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well this is what I have so far. :yum:

This is the partical system with the emitter hidden.
I’m going to be doing layers with this and alot of compositing.
Right now I have 5 layers.
Sun, sky, volcano, lava, land formation. :grin:

volcanic room

open, I made the figure a while ago by following a tutorial, and changed it a bit for the challenge. The cabinet, columns and stairs are from the archimesh add-on.

7 Likes

PURE “volcanic island”

Cycles 256s

10 Likes

The palms are very nice.